• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why did I get dizzy after taking methylfolate?

freshveggies

Yesterday I had a pretty good day. this is what I took

am
b-complex
1700mg potassium
800mcg folate
15 mg zinc
3 magnesium glycinate
A
E
3/4 adb b12
2-5mb12
1 enzymatic Therapy b12
body bio 4:1 oil
evening primrose oil

then I added 2 more 5mb12 later in the am

Lunch---unusally late so I skipped supplements.
I only took a b complex

I was having a good day for a change. --no dizzyness

that was it until dinner---I took 1 folate and then got dizzy for the rest of the evening.

Prevously I had been taking up to 13 methyfolate a day and started to think that they might be keeping me dizzy. I might not need that many. Can anyone made heads or tails of this?

At lunch Iunch I usually add in more potassium as Mine has been low---4.0 and I have some low potassium sysmptoms. I also add some in mid morning too. And I might take another 5mb12 after lunch.

Today I took 1/2 methyfolate for breakfast and no more today. Dizziness not as bad as last night, but still there.

What does methylfolate do?

Freddd

Hi Freshveggies,

Methylfolate helps start methylation by getting cell reproduction going. The healing response started tyhen can require more potassium than a person might be taking, then it triggers a need for more methylfolate to support the amount of healing started by the previous level of methylfolate.

Group 1 – Hypokalemia onset. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with cyanocobalamin it is very common with methylb12 and adensosylb12 and less so with hydroxycobalamin..

IBS – Steady constipation , Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum, Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, neck muscles, Muscle weakness, Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), Increased pulse rate, Increased blood pressure, Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.

Group 2a - Both

IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation

Group 2b – Either or both

Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue

Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency

IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract, increased hypersensitive responses , Skin rashes, Increased acne, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips, Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores, Coated tongue, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, Increase irritability, Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Old symptoms returning, Heart palpitations, Bleeding easily.

Group 4 - Hydroxycbl onset

Itchy bumps generally on scalp or face that develops to acne like lesions in a few days from start.

DISCLAIMER

I am a self taught systems analyst and consultant working in group healthcare since 1979, full time in group healthcare since 1985. I am not credentialed, certified or licensed to do anything besides drive a car. I have been disabled by the disease processes being discussed and affecting neurology in a multitude of ways for 10 years and impaired in a variety of ways and levels for 54 years before that. Everything I say is my opinion, synthesis, understanding or otherwise of my own creation except direct attributed quotes. Approximate paraphrases are also my interpretation of what I have read. All of this is at best my data analysis, understanding, synthesis and hypotheses and not to be construed as medical advice. I am not responsible for anything you do with any information provided in any way. Anything you do is your own responsibility and at your own risk. There are no published peer reviewed studies backing up my opinions or statements, except the incidental ones quoted or implicit in my synthesis or understanding, and then only in so far any reading of such papers may confer. Your interpretations, actions and variations of what I say are strictly at your own risk.

taniaaust1

Hi Fredd, I was very interested in your groups. I'd love to hear more about the groups and what you think is happening in each.. is there a thread on that?

Group 4 is what happened to me with hydroxy

freshveggies

Thank you --so if I don't take methylfolate other than what is in my b-complex, 400mcg's I won't experience any healing?

I have backed down on the methylfolate. How should I progress with it? Should I take the 1/2 folate 2 x a day and see how i do? I might not need more if I don't experience the symptoms above.?

I take my last 5mb12 around 2:00 each day and no more b's for the day. I take the 2nd b-complex with lunch. Would I not need a folate at dinner then?

I didn't take a folate with dinner last night and I did not wake dizzy. To me, it looks like that the more folate I took, the more I got dizzy.

freshveggies

So this morning I took no methylfolate and took the normal amount of mb12 and I got dizzy, lightheadedness with brain fog so that would mean I need more methylfolate according to the symtpoms listed above.

freshveggies

took one methylfolate at 11:30---1/2 at 3:00 and one after dinner. I seemed to do ok and I did not wake up dizzy this morning. Although I really didn't sleep. I am wondering If I might be taking too much adb b12. I am up to 3/4 per day and as much as I like it and it gives me energy, maybe it is too much?

You know how little things seem to affect you---maybe I didn't sleep because I put almond ol on my body before bed to moisturize it. It could have been hormones too. I will say that I have slept better since starting on mb12.

took one methylfolate at 11:30---1/2 at 3:00 and one after dinner. I seemed to do ok and I did not wake up dizzy this morning. Although I really didn't sleep. I am wondering If I might be taking too much adb b12. I am up to 3/4 per day and as much as I like it and it gives me energy, maybe it is too much?

You know how little things seem to affect you---maybe I didn't sleep because I put almond ol on my body before bed to moisturize it. It could have been hormones too. I will say that I have slept better since starting on mb12.
Did you ever find out what caused this? If it was methyl folate or methyl cobalamin?