• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which to treat first: adrenals, thyroid or methylation cycle?

Ema

I wonder what ALA does to thyroid levels when thyroid hormones aren't being taken exogenously? Does it work the same?

It seems that taking T4 would indicate a degree of hypothyroidism already. I wonder how they are certain that it isn't hypothyroidism causing reduced peripheral conversion vs the ALA?

Maybe looking at the full study will clear this up. I'll try to pull it for the library.

Ema
Here is the full study.

It does appear that they induced hyperthyroidism with enormous doses of T4 (100 ug/100 g body weight).

They also used enormous doses of ALA. I figured it to be about 5000 mg based on their formula for me (7.5 mg/100g body weight).

Adding in that this study was not done on actual people, I'm not sure that we can really say anything about ALA in terms of our thyroid function. I personally think the damage done by high blood sugar outweighs the risks here of reducing thyroid conversion especially since people generally don't take more than 6-1200 mg of ALA/day.

I haven't read the full study yet though. I just skimmed it for the amounts used.

Ema

Attachments

• Effect of a-Lipoic Acid.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 17