A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What would cause lowered glutathione in this protocol?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by renski, Jun 9, 2018.

1. renski

renski Senior Member

For some reason my glutathione levels dropped after being on this protocol below for 3 months, I had the Nutreval done in Feb 2018 and the glutathione levels were low then as well. On the Great plains test the Aconitic marker is high (this was normal on my previous OAT) and the Nutreval has a direct measurement of Glutathione levels and that was normal on my previous test as well.

Changes I've noticed in OAT/blood/Nutreval:
    - Folate is a bit lower in blood
    - Manganese is low in blood (plasma)
    - Biotin apparently competes with ALA into the cell but I wasn't on a high dose
    - FIGlu is slightly higher on Nutreval
    - My B6 seems to have improved in Nutreval but Cystathionine is lower which suggests transsulfuration is slower
    - My plasma zinc remains low
    - Homocysteine had dropped a little bit (it's high in blood), but Cystathionine is lower so where is it going, back to methionine?

Supplements I was on:
    - B2 and R5P
    - P5P
    - Biotin
    - Niacitol / Niacinamide
    - Hydroxy/Adenosyl B12 drops
    - Benfotamine (had stopped a few weeks prior to test)
    - Lithium
    - Metagenics Mineral complex only few times per week
    - Tri-Fortify glutathione
    - Zinc

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I believe that NutraEval measures total glutathione which includes oxidized glutathione so the measurement may be misleading. I took another methylation panel (from Vitamin Diagnostics--though I think that the name has changed now) that broke glutathione down into the active form (reduced) and the oxidized forms which gives you a better picture.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    ljimbo423 likes this.
  3. renski

renski Senior Member

Interesting, Aconitic marker on the Great plains indicates low glutathione though so it lines up with the Nutreval. I'm low on B3 so I'm sure I have plenty of oxidized glutathione.

4. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    That is probably total glutathione too. Few labs separate them out. Same problem with measuring B12.

5. renski

renski Senior Member

It's not a measurement of Glutathione though:

High aconitic acid (Marker 28) may indicate an additional requirement for reduced glutathione. Aconitase is dependent upon glutathione to metabolize citric and aconitic acids.

Sushi likes this.
  6. robinhood12345

robinhood12345 Senior Member

Your vitamin c is super low which is the most significant thing on the test. I used the same lab, and also had below the reference range vitamin c but started taking it before confirming the finding with a plasma ascorbic acid test. I wish I had of done that blood test before taking it to know how accurate great plains test is. I wonder if lots of people test low for AA on that test....

7. renski

renski Senior Member

Yep, well I was on about 40mg of vitamin C when I had the great plains test done, I've had the great plains test done before and my vitamin C was 0, so just taking that tiny amount of vitamin C was enough to raise it on their test.

See more popular forum discussions.