• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What could cause sudden appetite suppression and nausea?

I've been on Fredd's protocol for a month (I was on Rich's for 2 months before that with no success) and things have been going ok.

During the past few days my appetite has decreased, especially in the morning. Yesterday I could not finish breakfast because I felt like I would vomit if I took another bite. That never happens to me. I was just eating oatmeal with a banana. What could cause it?

The basics of my supplementation are as follows:

I am taking all the basic cofactors.

My methylfolate doses have increased rapidly -- starting with 1200mcg and doubling every week (2400, 4800, and now 10,000).

My potassium intake has remained constant at 1500mg.

My MeB12 dose has increased from 2000mcg to 10,000mcg.

I started AdB12 at 10,000mcg 1x/week and increased it by 10,000mcg each week so now I'm up to 40,000mcg. This may be too much. I seem to feel really good on the day I take it, but my emotions go all out of whack the next day (and for a few days afterward).

I phased in LCF 2 weeks ago. I tried going over 125mg but it was too much so I have been staying at that dose.

ahmo

Rapid and big increases...If it was me, these symptoms point to liver overload. Increased methylation increases detox mechanisms. My solution: coffee enemas, see blog linked in my signature. If not CEs, acupuncture, even some sort of massage might help. Or other substances meant to support liver.

When I asked Fred about how to increase Mfolate, he suggested 100-200mcg every day or 2. This worked well for me. :balloons:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Waldemath - I'm with @ahmo - those are huge sudden increases and could easily cause a detox reaction. Increasing methylfolate caused a very strong detox reaction for me.

So you might try cutting your doses a bit back to where you feel comfortable and then if you do any increases, do it very gradually until you see how you react. For liver detox, lemon juice is very good. Milk thistle helps support and cleanse the liver, and dandelion tea is good as well.

Here's an excellent article on Phase II liver detoxification: http://www.diagnose-me.com/treatment/liver-detoxification-phase-II-support.html

l-glutamine, inositol and glycine are amino acids which all have helped my detox pathways (as well as most of the other supplements mentioned in the article)

Several years ago when my liver was quite overloaded with toxins, I found it impossible to eat in the morning and ended up doing a liver detox (this was before I discovered the methylation protocol)

ahmo

Also, when I was in a severe state, I used poultices over kidneys and adrenals (adrenal pain as well). Castor oil plaster/poultice often recommended. I found this made a mess, and switched to mixture of chlorella, clay, activated charcoal. Darker staining substances, but I could make a thick mixture, spread it onto cloths, then tie into place with another cloth. I slept with these for a few days, sometimes changing them midway through night.

Thanks for the advice, ahmo and Mary. I did have a feeling the jump from 5000mcg to 10,000mcg methylfolate may have been too much. I'm gonna bump it back down and see if that clears things up.

Gondwanaland, I've been taking 400mg magnesium monomalate/bisglycinate every night along with calcium and potassium. Last week I increased it to 600mg magnesium (when I increased methylfolate to 10,000mcg). Are you suggesting that I might need more? The suggested dosage is 400mg 2x/day.