• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weight Loss revisited

Freddd

I have had several times during this process when I have been able to lose weight easily. In the last 3-4 months I have lost about 12 pounds. This started as soon as I put an end to my folate insufficiency. When I am in folate insufficiency, the exact same diet causes me to struggle to not gain weight. Now, with no special effort except being willing to not increase food intake, I feel "hungrier" and am lossing weight at a slow steady pace. With exercise my muscles have started irebuilding again. The muscle gain and weight loss seem to happen when I get everything in balance with the supplements. If this happens the way it did last time the weightloss will fade away at about 20 pounds below my present weight and slows a lot as it approaches that.

I know that this is one of the more difficult subjects all around becasue it gets at things around self acceptance in our society which make a discussion of body weight a touchy and emotionally trying thing. These deficiencies can cause wieght loss in some people and in others weight gain of typically waterlogged fat which can hide muscle loss. Exactly which happens and why in any given person is not exactly clear. For me the essential for this were mb12, adb12, Metafolin and l-carnitine fumarate, realizing that everything needed for cell formation is also needed for this, all the basics. But the weight loss and muscle building occur at the same time for me. It has happened once when adding mb12, once when adding adb12 and l-carnitine fumarate and finally, this time with getting the Metafolin at a level sufficient that all the insufficiency symptoms are gone.

I am not clear on why this is happening in this way but glad that it is. If Rich or somebody understands what is happening here I would love to hear it.

place

Be Strong!
Hey Freddd,
I don't have a pathology for it but a small background in exercise science. I can tell you that when the body feels that it is in danger of dying or running out of food, it will hold onto fat and reduce your metabolism. So for an anerexic(where is the spell checker on these forums????), the body will go econo mode and run the body with less fuel. They only need say 1000 cals to do all the functions it needs.

In a kind of similar response but not really... people who swim laps will hold onto fat (mainly under the skin) because it make them float better. Conversely, runners drop there weight because the body feels that it takes more energy to hold on to the fat than its worth and dumps it. Look at the olympic this summer, compare the swimmers with the runners. They both train just as hard as each other but the outcome is way different.

Freddd

Hey Freddd,
I don't have a pathology for it but a small background in exercise science. I can tell you that when the body feels that it is in danger of dying or running out of food, it will hold onto fat and reduce your metabolism. So for an anerexic(where is the spell checker on these forums????), the body will go econo mode and run the body with less fuel. They only need say 1000 cals to do all the functions it needs.

In a kind of similar response but not really... people who swim laps will hold onto fat (mainly under the skin) because it make them float better. Conversely, runners drop there weight because the body feels that it takes more energy to hold on to the fat than its worth and dumps it. Look at the olympic this summer, compare the swimmers with the runners. They both train just as hard as each other but the outcome is way different.

Hi Place,

When I was on the ski patrol at a major eastern mountain, I was eating a 5000 calorie daily diet and loossing a little weight, putting on lots of muscle. I was short on veggies (rural Maine in the winter with a small general store) and big on meat, cheese, eggs, potatoes, etc. I took off about 20 pounds and developed the most amazing muscles I have ever had but kept a layer of fat. I could ski 2600 vertical feet non-stop in 5 minutes (informally racing the other patrol, minus a serious tuck we all did 3 miles in 3 minutes just for fun before the public was on the mountain, checking out the grooming job as we reported) and do that all day. The month of January was 40 below each moring. In mid February the temp wrature went up to 20 below and the sun came out. That was the warmest 20 below I've ever experienced. Staying warm and working hard takes a lot of calories. All my life I couldn't sink if I wanted to. A few years ago, after I went through the first burst of weight loss that wasn't water and put on a lot of muscle, suddenly I could sink. I only swim in the summer these days and I would like to work up to 45 minutes oif arobic swimming this summer.

So, having been short on b12 my whole life I lost 45 pounds of water when I started it. Then when I started l-carnitine fumarate I lost another 40+ pounds of water, 40 pounds of fat and put on a whole lot of muscles, my big thigh muscles at the top going from the thickness of my thumb to a spread hand span and using a whole lot of potassium doing so all over my body. Then just 3-4 months ago, as I brought the Metafolin up to full sufficiency and zero folate insufficiency symptoms, for the first time in my life, I started building muscles again and lossing weight on the same diet.

So maybe the l-caritine and Metafolin or whatever the body is starving for, when applied, makes the body think that starvation is at an end. No amount of calories ever did that for me.

Thankyou for the idea.

"Anorexic" says this friendly spellchecker.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
hi freddd,

I normally follow a low carb diet and have lost weight from this but it did stall a couple of years ago. Your experience with carnitine is similar to what i have had with acetyl carnitine which i added a few months ago in that i lost approx 5 kilo with just this change, i also find that if i do eat carbs i tolereate them alot better and previously i could put 5 kilo back on with 1 day of carb eating but this doesnt happen now, not that i have many days where i would eat carbs all day , maybe a meal here and there. I was at the point where i couldnt toerate any carbs without putting on weight and having reactive hypo episodes from it, so the acetyl carnitine has helped, when i run out im keen to try the fumarate version of carnitine. I also added q10 the same time as the acetyl carn, so maybe the combo are helping.

cheers!!!