• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Video of Richvank's seminar in Skovde, Sweden on October 1-2, 2011

richvank

Hi, all.

Thanks to all of you for your interest and encouragement. I just heard from Sweden that as of Sunday morning there, there had been hits from 649 individuals, so it sounds as though my message is getting out. As you've noted, the video is quite long, but I appreciate the fact that they allowed me enough time to get essentially the "whole story" out in one seminar.

If any of you would like to have the slides from this talk, please email me at richvank at aol dot com, and I will send them to you as attachments.

Best regards,

Rich

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I just heard from Sweden that as of Sunday morning there, there had been hits from 649 individuals, so it sounds as though my message is getting out. As you've noted, the video is quite long, but I appreciate the fact that they allowed me enough time to get essentially the "whole story" out in one seminar

That's great - it's a long presentation but it really was easy to take in and to listen to and I'd encourage any feeling daunted by the length not to be. I'm really glad I watched it because I feel I have a much better understanding of the whole thing now.

That's really exciting news about that CDC researcher planning to look at methylation polymorphisms. Maybe our ship is about to come in!

I've posted a new thread about glutathione in relation to diet and rest here (I don't want to hijack this thread!).

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I was just watching part of the video again and I interested in the notion that both autism and ME have the same mechanism (of a methylation cycle block) and that ME is what you get if you get it after your brain has developed.

I have the impression that the autism community is much more powerful and well-supported than ours and I wonder whether there is pressure from the families of people with autism to have clinical trials of the DAN!/Yasko protocols. If they succeeded, it would surely help us too.

It will be interesting to see if the study the CFI are planning on that Harvard (?) longitudinal population database will be able to establish a higher incidence of ME and autism within families.

Sing

Sasha, I second your comments and questions re autism and ME/CFS. Rich, do you have any idea where this possible connection may go?

dannybex

Thanks Rich! :)

Thanks as always to Rich and his hard work. Great to see you spreading the word over in my (grandparents) homeland. I hope you enjoyed your time there. :)

Sing and Sasha,

Rich will of course be much better able to fill you in, but I believe that's where Rich first came up with his hypothesis -- after learning of the messed up methylation in autism patients. I've read in places that up to 95-98% of autistics test positive for the MTHFR mutation, and of course Rich has found that 'almost all' of CFS/ME patients have methylation blocks to some degree.

I believe that Rich considers CFS/ME to be an austism spectrum disorder...?

I'll shut up...and let him clarify.

d.

richvank

Hi, all.

Yes, I owe the whole methylation partial block idea in ME/CFS to the autism researchers. My contribution was only to suspect that it was also present in ME/CFS and later, with the help of Dr. Neil Nathan, to confirm (at least to my satisfaction) that it is true. Yes, there is more political support for autism research, and we can definitely piggyback on some of it. The brain-structure-related parts are not so directly applicable to ME/CFS, because they are only present in autism. But I think that a lot of the genetics and biochemistry are applicable to both.

The conventional clinical community is not very receptive to the notion that autism and ME/CFS are the same disorder, because they focus on the clinical presentation of the patients and the epidemiology, and of course, these are quite different. In autism, the brain-related symptoms have received most of the attention, because they are so striking and so devastating, also because this disorder has been defined by the psychiatrists. But an autistic child has many other symptoms and biochemical abnormalities in common with the PWME/PWC. Also, autism is seen most commonly in little boys, while ME/CFS is seen most commonly in adult women.

I was not the first to note that there is a connection between autism and ME/CFS. This was pointed out by Dr. Michael Goldberg in southern California and by Prof. Malcolm Hooper in the UK before the biochemical correspondence between the two was shown. When I saw the connection in the biochemistry, I got pretty excited, as you can see in this letter to the editor that was published in the Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients in October 2006: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_279/ai_n16865315/?tag=content;col1

Best regards,

Rich

richvank

Hi, all.

The slides from this seminar can now be downloaded from the same website where the video can be found.
They can be accessed under the word "bildspel."

Best regards,

Rich