• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trolls on comments sections of articles

drjohn

I have posted this comment on a thread following an article (about M.E. costing 102 million) in The Sussex Argus here http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9259087.ME_costs_millions_in_lost_earnings/
but which could apply universally to any about M.E.

drjohnMECommunityTrust says ...
8:50am Tue 20 Sep 11
"I do hope that people who want to engage in serious debate about M.E., especially those who suffer with it and their carers, do not take the bait from provocative postings but ignore them.

I also hope that the Argus retains them as dreadful examples but does not close the discussion as an alternative to a brawl or the extra work of moderating, which is what happens on some other websites, maintaining myth and ignorance, denying a voice and which is thought to be the deliberate intention of some of those (often known as "Trolls") who do this, for their own ends."

May I urge people to write in support here and also watch for all future occasions and nip it in the bud. Please do NOT reply to Trolls, no matter how provocative - it's what they want and, if you do, they have succeeded in part 1 of the exercise and that is more likely to lead to part 2 of having the discussion closed and ALL comments including the best lost, which is probably what they want -- and you are helping them. Please think very carefully before you post. Never do so in high emotion, perhaps sleep on it, or ask someone before you submit.

Best wishes
John
drjohngreensmith@mecommunitytrust.org
ME Community Trust.org

Enid

Thanks drjohn. Re Trolls it seems to be the name of the game for some having watched the comment section on articles in the Daily T. - doesn't even relate the subject - just out to be as unpleasant as possible.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Good advice. I expect you saw on the UK news a few days ago a guy being put in jail for being a troll? I don't know if that was the first case of its kind.

barbc56

Dr. John, Can you give some examples or point to sites where you think people are. trolling. Is it people who oppose your view or a troll where someone is being rude and trying to provoke others? Just curious as I couldn't tell from your post.