• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Epigenetics Revolution by Nessa Carey

sianrecovery

This is a popular science book by a virologist who works in molecular biology. She is trying to make the complex issues and possibilities offered by the epigenetics 'paradigm shift' in molecular biology understandable for a lay audience. She only partially succeeded for me. I am posting this here because so much of the book concerns the methylation process, and its crucial role in both DNA and RNA regulatory processes. The rough gist of what I got was that it wasn't a case of simply methylation good, less methylation bad - but that different processes of both DNA and RNA required a complex dynamic pattern of up and downregulation in order to maintain health - and that non-functioning methylation processes and hypermethylation both had serious potential consequences.

She is also good on the long term biochemical effects of trauma in childhood and its later sequelae on the endocrine system.

Anyone with a better scientific understanding than mine read it and can comment?

Sian