• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Telegraph Tomorrow - Exercise and positivity can overcome ME

charles shepherd

I don't really understand much about how BACME was set up/why it has any authority/respect/etc. Could you fill us in at all?

They seem rubbish - does that matter?

Apologies if I opt out of writing a fairly detailed account of why BACME was set up and what it does etc at this time of night

If you have a look at their website, there is quite a lot of background information there:

http://www.bacme.info

I would point out that, with my health professional hat on, I am not a member of BACME and could not be because the MEA does not endorse the 'evidence based' NICE guideline on ME/CFS

Esther12

Apologies if I opt out of writing a fairly detailed account of why BACME was set up and what it does etc at this time of night

If you have a look at their website, there is quite a lot of background information there:

http://www.bacme.info

I would point out that, with my health professional hat on, I am not a member of BACME and could not be because the MEA does not endorse the 'evidence based' NICE guideline on ME/CFS

I've looked at that thanks - it just doesn't seem to provide any reason why they should be more respected than a professional organisation for homeopaths.

They're the people making money from CBT/GET. Why should their view that CBT/GET should go on being provided carry any more weight than that of any other self-interested group? (Maybe a question for tomorrow rather than tonight).

charles shepherd

There are other studies that claim to show the effectiveness of CBT for CFS. A pre PACE meta analysis reported that up to about 70% of patients had normal fatigue levels after CBT. :rolleyes:

There's a mountain of shit that needs to be cleaned up. These studies cannot be right - either they're conflating other things with CFS or their methodology is horribly biased, or maybe both.

What will happen if PACE is retracted and more people become aware of how poor the science is in this area?

Can the death of the PACE trial spark a small revolution where research is finally held to a certain standard?

Firstly, I think it is highly unlikely that the PACE trial papers will be retracted

If this were to happen, it would obviously have an effect on how NICE view their guideline on ME/CFS

But as already discussed, the NICE guideline on ME/CFS was published in 2007 and was not based on results from the PACE trial.

It was based on the evidence for CBT, GET etc in the (2006) York University systematic review.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
See my reply to AB….
Thanks but my question was more specific and was before A.B.'s. I wasn't asking about retraction of the full paper.

Given that PACE was post 2007, I was wondering if there would be any implications for the NICE guidelines if the recovery claims and normal range calculations are retracted as the #MEAction petition calls for.

Would that strengthen your case with NICE?

charles shepherd

Thanks but my question was more specific and was before A.B.'s. I wasn't asking about retraction of the full paper.

Apologies - replying in haste I didn't note that your question was more specific…...

Given the extremely strong defence that has been mounted all they way along by The Lancet etc I think it's highly unlikely that we are going to see any significant retractions taking place

If this were to take place it would certainly strengthen our case for a review of the 2007 NICE guideline

But, as already noted, the recommendations re CBT and GET in the 2007 NICE guideline were based on a number of clinical trials pre 2007 and the PACE trial played no role in this guidance

SOC

Given the extremely strong defence that has been mounted all they way along by The Lancet etc I think it's highly unlikely that we are going to see any significant retractions taking place
I'm not sure why. The PACE papers are vastly more flawed than the XMRV paper that got retracted, and may even prove to have been fraudulent. Surely that is sufficient for retraction?

Aurator

But as already discussed, the NICE guideline on ME/CFS was published in 2007 and was not based on results from the PACE trial.

It was based on the evidence for CBT, GET etc in the (2006) York University systematic review.
If this is the case, I can't help wondering what on earth the point of PACE was and is. If it wasn't needed to corroborate NICE guidelines in 2011 and if it's generally acknowledged that it turned out not to have corroborated very much at all, how is it possible to see it as anything other than a spectacular waste of money, not only in hindsight but in its conception also?

Last edited:

halcyon

If this is the case, I can't help wondering what on earth the point of PACE was and is. If it wasn't needed to corroborate NICE guidelines in 2011 and if it's generally acknowledged that it turned out not to have corroborated very much at all, how is it possible to see it as anything other than a spectacular waste of money?
I think the co-funding by the DWP might be a clue of the purpose.

Aurator

I think the co-funding by the DWP might be a clue of the purpose.
Yes, but my point is it seems PACE wasn't even needed for the purposes of setting the present GET/CBT-based guidelines. So why was it even commissioned?

daisybell

So if the guidelines are ever to be changed, does that mean the focus needs to be on the harms caused by GET rather than on the titanic PACE? In which case, the MEA report should be a great starting point....

Sean

NHS HOSPITALS AT BREAKING POINT DUE TO ME SUFFERERS TAKING PACE!
How about we all throw ourselves into A and E claiming that we have followed PACE's recommendations and bring the NHS to its knees? Now that would get some coverage.
He he.

They psychosocial school should be careful what they wish for, indeed demand.

Seriously, the bean counters are not going to be too impressed by null long-term result, when there are broken legs and kidney transplants to fund.