• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Swapped LCF for ALCAR...woah!

Matt_C

Looks like im one of the 10% that needs ALCAR as opposed to LCF. Took my first dose of 500mg yesterday about 1pm and felt wired, sweaty and had trouble sleeping. Took two doses today with my last at 11. Feeling much more alert, a little jittery and anxious but good. LCF did nothing for me at 1000mg.

GhostGum

I use to take up to 3-4g ALCAR years before I even started methylation with good results. Have tried LCF as well on methylation, as recommended here and it also does not seem to have much effect.

Where does the 10% come from? I know ALCAR has always been a go to for the althetic/supplement junkie types, I am not sure why LCF is generally preferred here? Although I am sure that has been spelt out in great detail somewhere.

Matt_C

Freddd has commented that in his trials/observations, about 10% of people need ALCAR rather than LCF. Not sure he offered a reason for it, perhaps something to do with genetics.

I had to back off of it because it was interfering with my sleep. I'll try some super small doses or maybe just come back to it later.