Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sulphur question

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Parismountain, Jan 9, 2013.

  1. Parismountain

    Parismountain Senior Member

    South Carolina
    Once in a great while I get to pondering what put me in this state of health. I've skim read some methyl posts and read of Rich and there was something the other day (can't quite remember exactly what it was) that when I did a Google search I came up with Rich answering a question on another forum about panels and vitamin B and sulphur being a player.

    I have a pretty bad allergy to sulphur based medicines, the antibiotics I rash up head to toe on the first pill. There are some other medicines that are sulphur based I avoid, it's a regular answer I give about any allergies to medications at doctors offices.

    Putting two and two together (which probably is not a good idea) I can remember back as a child visiting my grandparent's home on many occasions and they had a sulphur well. Now I may have only visitied 10 times before age 14 but when we were there the house stunk of rotten eggs from the well water. We bathed and drank the water.

    I wonder if early exposure to sulphur gave me the allergy and can anyone think of if this points to any connection to some cycle problem in that how sulphur is used in the body?

    I know I've read of some panels you can purchase but not sure where to start. I've tried purchasing the methyl b and other B vitamins and trying to follow the protocol but from what I read in a long ago post by Rich I think, there was danger in chlorine water, taking a shower or bath in it and drinking it. There was mention of Epsom salt baths and filters you can buy to use for your shower. The diet was very strict, avoiding things like red meat and broccoli.

    Am I making any sense? I hate to start another rabbit trail. Been sick about 30 years now and I'm a bit set in my ways to make drastic changes in lifestyle at this point.
  2. Anteah

    Anteah Senior Member

    Las Vegas, Nevada
    There are certain genetic mutations that can predispose you to being intolerant to sulfur, CBS and SUOX for instance. I am sure there are more. Have you ever done any genetic testing?
  3. freshveggies

    freshveggies Senior Member

    epsom salt is sulfur based.
  4. PointsNorth

    PointsNorth Paulo

    LeftCoast Canada
    Rotten egg smell makes me think of hydrogen sulfide H2S gas. Deadly.
  5. *GG*

    *GG* senior member

    Concord, NH
    Hmm, don't some Drs suggest that you get allergies because you are not exposed enough to some antigens? Some think that kids today are living in a world that is to "sterile" anit-biotic this and that. Much more peanut allergy these days. Why is this?

  6. Parismountain

    Parismountain Senior Member

    South Carolina
    Hi, no I haven't done any genetic testing. Wouldn't know really where to start.
  7. Ema

    Ema Senior Member

    Midwest USA
    Sulfa medicines (antibiotics are one example) contain a sulfonamide group. This contains a sulfur atom but is different than a sulfur allergy. An allergy to sulfur itself would be very rare even though allergies to sulfonamides can be relatively common. Sulfites and sulphates may also cause allergy but they are also different than sulfonamides or sulfur.

    It's all very confusing but my point is just that an allergy to sulfonamides does not mean that there is a problem with sulfur because generally there is not.

    anne_likes_red likes this.
  8. anne_likes_red

    anne_likes_red Senior Member

    I empathise with that pondering! It's not simple is it.

    I'm someone who had a reaction to sulfonamides requiring hospitalisation, right, smack bang at the start of my illness.

    I've never noticed any benefit at all from limiting sulfur containing foods and I react just fine to soaking in magnesium sulfate....for what my experience is worth. :)

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page