• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sulfur Test Strip Results - higher during protocol?

ebethc

Hi

I started the CBS / BHMT anti-sulfur protocol a few weeks ago, and I did a sulfur test strip test (ie Quantofix strips)... The results are HIGHER than usual... Is this because the sulfur is being released?

Avalon

Hi

I started the CBS / BHMT anti-sulfur protocol a few weeks ago, and I did a sulfur test strip test (ie Quantofix strips)... The results are HIGHER than usual... Is this because the sulfur is being released?

Where did you get CBS / BHMT anti-sulfur protocol from, do you have a link. Thank you!

ebethc

My CBS / BHMT protocol is actually more "anti-ammonia" than "anti-sulfur". You may have to make adjustments if you or your doctor think that sulfur is a big culprit.. My worst symptom is brain fog (because it makes it hard for me to work), but I have bad joint pain and fatigue, too.

My doctor's protocol for me..
CLEAR AMMONIA:
· l-arginine 500mg in the AM (this esp helps the liver clear ammonia)
· l-ornithine 500mg in the PM
· l-citrulline 500mg in the PM
All three of these amino acids are components of the urea cycle and can help in clearing ammonia toxicity by increasing urea formation (thus the need for also supporting the kidney in its ability to excrete urea). L-Ornithine is especially important to the brain, as the brain does not have an ornithine related enzyme found in the rest of the body, that is needed to detoxify ammonia by metabolizing it to urea.

CLEAR HEAVY METALS:
· Zeolite: ACZ 2 sprays twice daily the first two weeks of each month-clear heavy metals, which compromise the other paths to breakdown ammonia

SUPPORT LIVER & KIDNEY:
· Silymarin Forte one daily (has sulfur, but as I said, my prob is more ammonia so I'm not as strict on avoiding sulfur right now..)
· Artichoke Extract one daily with food,
· Celery (food) daily, possibly even celery juice

OTHER SUPPLEMENTS:
· Chlorella (high ish dose) 3-6 daily (doctor recommended this one, but I don’t take it because I’m too sensitive to iodine)
· Yucca - 2 capsules 2x day (gut support, also may clear the ammonia directly)
- Molybdenum Glycinate 1 mg - breaks down toxic sulfites to sulfates and supports liver detoxification
- Acetyl L-Carnitine - 500mg one daily in the AM, may help prevent ammonia related neurotoxic damage to the brain; brain antioxidant - better for mental energy than L-Carnitine Fumarate, which is better for physical / muscle energy.
- Also brain needs C, E, Magnesium and Zinc to prevent excitotoxin (glutamate) damage. So stay on Magnesium, add Unique E one daily three times per week and Unique Tocotrienols one daily three times per week, and use C a couple of times daily

DIET
- Remove major sulfites (garlic, onions, leeks, eggs, broccoli, cabbage & kale); AMMONIA IS KEY THING FOR ME TO AVOID
- Magnesium chloride salts for bath - avoid magnesium sulfate.
- Re brain fog, ammonia in brain is different than ammonia in the body... very hard to test.
- Ammonia & Leaky Gut can lead to joint pain & inflammation
- Should see significant improvement in 4 - 6 weeks. (we'll see..)

GAPS diet with small meals daily, no sugar, low carb. Mostly because this type of diet helps stabilize blood sugar, and balanced blood sugar, is essential for healthy brain function and protects against damage from excitotoxins.
Limit Protein to 60 grams per day. Do have meats, fish, poultry in small but consistent amounts, but do not have too much protein because it creates ammonia. (Note: vegetarian protein causes ammonia, too). Broths are okay.
·http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm

Last edited:

Avalon

Wow!, Thank you, I will need to comb through this and see what I can use. Have you seen improvement?, how long have you been on this detox protocol?
I've had worsening spaciness/brain fog recently, it was particularly bad yesterday. The day before I had taken a probiotic @30 bill CFU, which I think induced toxins and added to the slight spaciness I already had with the methylation protocol.

ebethc

@Avalon - I've only been on it a few weeks, so not too much to report yet. My doc said 4-6 weeks to see any real change, which probably means a couple of months at least because that seems to be the way it goes for me! Someone else said they didn't see change until 8 - 12 weeks when using a similar protocol.

I think that you can make adjustments w the citrulline & ornithine. I've started taking these in the AM, too. I think these are low doses, so you can check. I'll let you know if I see anything re higher doses..

I take probiotics, too. I think they really help. Hope your bad reaction passes soon!