• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Small B12 brand experiment

Quick question about the B12oils from Australia-- is the oil in your vials odorless?

I bought two vials (about $100), but have only used a few squirts because the oil has a strong odor, like oil paint. It is unpleasant. I'm not sure if the odor is a characteristic of the normal product, or if I received a bad batch (i.e. the base oil has gone rancid). I haven't contacted the company yet.

What are your vials like?

Last edited:

garyfritz

I've gone through many vials of the oil. They have some smell, but it's just like massage oil or body oil. If yours smells like oil paint, something is wrong. I would contact the company.

Do both vials smell like that?

helen1

Mine has a mild smell not pleasant really but mild enough so it doesn't bother me. Like a very mild smelly sock maybe.

garyfritz

I totally agree, Helen. Maybe I wouldn't use it for cologne, but it's not that big a deal. And the benefit (for me) is WELL worth it.

PeterPositive

Update: I have recently tried Country Life Methyl-B12 5mg lozenges.
As someone already reported they have probably changed the formula and these tablets dissolve under the tongue at the speed of light.

The lozenge is bigger than other brands but it lasted less than 1 minute ... and I had essentially zero effect :(

It's wasted money unless you can absorb B12 well from the oral route. Which I can't :(
Not recommended.

garyfritz

@PeterPositive, I haven't bought any CL for about 6 months, and they may have changed it, but it dissolved fairly fast then too. But they last MUCH longer if you place them between your lip and gum.

When I used to put them under my tongue, they would dissolve really quickly. But I noticed if I woke with symptoms in the night and took one then, I would go back to sleep quickly -- and I would wake with the pasty residue of the tablet under my tongue. Apparently I salivate more when I'm awake, or more likely I just can't keep myself from sucking on it. But when I'm asleep, it lasts a long time.

I liked the CL 5mg because they didn't have any sugars, acids, or folic acid. I started breaking them in half so I could get two shots of B12 instead of one quick-dissolving shot. I believe you absorb/use more that way.

@ahmo, I started transdermal B12 yesterday with Shea butter lotion, (Yes, I am following right along in your foot steps) but the B12 seemed to stay on top of the skin. I had to take my sublinguals after that. Today, I started with Grapeseed natural skin oil with 1/2 dropper of B12. It seems to be effective but both are quite thin and runny. Some ended up on the floor. Do you use a thicker oil? Thank you so very much for all the giving back and sharing that you do, and congratulations on your getting back 80% of your life.

PeterPositive

@PeterPositive, I haven't bought any CL for about 6 months, and they may have changed it, but it dissolved fairly fast then too. But they last MUCH longer if you place them between your lip and gum.
I'll try it.
I usually don't do that because I mainly use 1mg tablets and I need around 10/day. This in turn would force me to have candies in my mouth all the day, with the obvious consequences on teeth :(

I have ordered some of the B12 oils in hope to get rid of those sugar candies for good.

garyfritz

Well as I mentioned, the CL 5mg doesn't have sugar or acids. The sweetener they use, mannitol, is actual *beneficial* to tooth enamel. Break them in half and you can get your 10mg with just 4 passes a day.

But while the CL 5mg worked OK, the oils are vastly better for me. Hope you see similar benefit.

Tammy

@ahmo, I started transdermal B12 yesterday with Shea butter lotion, (Yes, I am following right along in your foot steps) but the B12 seemed to stay on top of the skin. I had to take my sublinguals after that. Today, I started with Grapeseed natural skin oil with 1/2 dropper of B12. It seems to be effective but both are quite thin and runny. Some ended up on the floor. Do you use a thicker oil? Thank you so very much for all the giving back and sharing that you do, and congratulations on your getting back 80% of your life.
Have you ever tried emu-oil as an emulsifier?....................I have heard it is a great dermal penetrator. Don't know about the cost.

ahmo

I started transdermal B12 yesterday with Shea butter lotion, (Yes, I am following right along in your foot steps) but the B12 seemed to stay on top of the skin. I had to take my sublinguals after that. Today, I started with Grapeseed natural skin oil with 1/2 dropper of B12. It seems to be effective but both are quite thin and runny. Some ended up on the floor. Do you use a thicker oil? Thank you so very much for all the giving back and sharing that you do, and congratulations on your getting back 80% of your life.

My creme has shea + cocoa butter + a few other oils, including almond, olive. I don't know why it's working so well for this application. I used to include avocado oil in my mixtures, until I realized it was adding to histamine burden. I'd use coconut oil, if I didn't have issues with that, too. I put a fingerfull of my thick creme mixture in my palm, then squeeze the B12 dropper into it. It does not emulsify or mix together, I have to be really careful to not drip everywhere. But I then slap it onto arm or leg and rub it in...it's obviously being carried in. I'm very surprised it works, but it does. It doe3sn't even leave any stickiness or greasiness after just a few minutes.

@Gondwanaland reported using a creme also, I don't know of what sort.

Have you ever tried emu-oil as an emulsifier?....................I have heard it is a great dermal penetrator. Don't know about the cost.

Tammy, this is a terrific idea. I'll try some soon. I'd thought about using DMSO, as it's meant to help things penetrate, but didn't see a reason to try.

Gondwanaland

I am not sure about his info but I think I read somewhere that emu oil can be very high in salicylates (like coconut oil) and this is not a good thing to combine to high dose folate :eek:

I use commercial body lotion successfully.

presently_distant

Everywhere and Nowhere
I recently started taking 1mg of this methyl b12 again from Superior Source. It's great because it dissolves in like a second and seems to be pretty effective. Not too expensive either. No artificial flavors, a tiny bit of lactose and acacia gum are the only other ingredients. Idk if that bit of lactose would be a problem for most people (regardless of if intolerant or not).

www.amazon.com/Superior-Source-Methylcobalamin-Multivitamin-Count/dp/B003VR6Y18

They also carry a 10mg (10,000 mcg) for those who are taking larger doses. I know they also have adenosylcobalamin.

I've gone through many vials of the oil. They have some smell, but it's just like massage oil or body oil. If yours smells like oil paint, something is wrong. I would contact the company.

Do both vials smell like that?

Thanks for the info, Gary.

Yes, both bottles have the odor, but one more than the other. I'll have to email and see if I can get it straightened out, otherwise will be a waste of $100. :-(

garyfritz

Good luck wit it, @shoponl.

@presently_distant, dissolving in a second isn't a good thing. According to my understanding, which was largely guided by the B12 expert at B12oils.com, you want it to dissolve slowly, gradually dribbling the B12 into your system. Rapid dissolving means the serum B12 levels spike quickly, and drop quickly, before you can fully utilize it. That's one of the major benefits of the B12 oil (and probably the creams that @ahmo and others are using) – it trickles the B12 into your bloodstream over the course of hours.

ahmo

am not sure about his info but I think I read somewhere that emu oil can be very high in salicylates (like coconut oil)
Ahh..maybe that's the issue I have w/ coconut oil. I looked at emu oil yesterday. I'd been thinking of a different product, thought emu was in a solid form, but it's liquid, so I didn't pursue it.

@garyfritz I've been meaning to tip my hat to you for your excellent photo.;)

garyfritz

Heh. :redface: Thanks @ahmo! I was on a ski trip and went into this shop where they had some hats. Tried that one on just for fun. I've gotten many compliments on the picture, but unfortunately the hat didn't fit, was quite heavy (thick leather) and very uncomfortable, AND it cost $300 !! yikes