• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Side-effects from Omega-3 Supplement: Anybody has some experiences?

Hi everybody,

I am on my doctors methylation treatment and I am already doing much better.
For me the largest problem at the moment are headaches, brain fog, fatigue (but no longer severe) and weak muscles. If I walk around for 1-2 hours my muscles are getting sore and painful and it takes some hours to recover.

Last week I started an Omega-3-Fishoil supplement (with EPA and DHA) and right after taking it I got SO tired that I had to lay down in the early evening and then slept until the next day.
The next day I got kind of a histamine reaction to the second fish oil capsule (I have very high histamine blood levels and I just need a tiny more of histamine to accumulate and I get strong reactions) and stopped taking it afterwards.

Yesterday I started taking another Omega 3 supplement based on algae oil and felt weak and tired after taking it again, today after taking another one I experienced tiredness and a severe muscle pain in my legs and arms, muscle cramps and headaches that are lasting until now.

I am really confused whether this is a bad or a good reaction. I just wanted to try the Omega 3s because I also had very low ATP and my mitochondria weren´t working normally. So I thought it could help me rebuild the mitochondria membranes, get more energy and maybe even improve my muscle issues.

Has anyone made the same experiences or could say anything about my problem ?!(maybe also
@Freddd , since I saw you recommend the Omega 3s in your protocol).

Yours

Nana

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I don't know why but I can't take omega 3 fish oil - I have severe allergies, intolerances and MCS. Have tried it several times - all different formulas and high quality brands but it starts with it repeating on me and downhill from then.

zzz0r

I was having severe headaches due to omega 3 usage at the beginning (I remember it lasted for a week or so) but then I got better and currently I have no bad reactions due to omega3.

Just for the record @Nana86 have you ever been under any accutane treatment for acne ?

Some fish contain a lot of mercury and other contaminants---which would end up in the fish oil product.. Is your fish oil supplement verified or guaranteed to be low in toxins and contaminants?

peggy-sue

I had a very bad reaction to taking DHA.:(
I've been taking high dose pharmaceutical grade EPA for a long time, as recommended by Prof. Basant Puri.
I ran out, and for 3 months, took a proprietary brand from Boots, which had DHA in it as well.
I went badly downhill. I got the right stuff again and within 2 weeks was fine again.
Prof. Puri does not recommend DHA for ME, only EPA.
EPA is the right stuff for membranes. Puri likens EPA to being the oil in a car, and DHA to be the metal it is built from.
I don't know how that fits in with anything!:confused:

All I know is that DHA made me worse, even in combination with EPA.

EPA alone helps a great deal.

Thanks everybody for your answers! :)

@zzz0r , Did you notice any positive effects from the Omega 3s after the headaches went away? Btw, I have never been on accutane treatment before, but I am taking a Vitamin A supplement (3.000IU of retinyl palmitate). Why are you asking? :)

@Tillie, the fish oil was tested by a German health organization so I think it should be okay. But I switched to a product based on algae oil and have the same problems (maybe even more severe...).

@peggy-sue , thank you for the hint. If my problems don´t go away in a week or so I might switch to another product...

When I added 5-MTHF a month ago my concentration got SO much better, but now after I started supplementing the Omega 3s all the problems I was still having got worse: I hardly can´t concentrate, I got a strong headache, all my muscles just hurt and even my thyroid started hurting again (it did so when I started supplementing selenium& iodine bec I was deficient in it)...a friend of mine said that maybe this could be the process of healing because I was probably so deficient in Omega 3s so that 5-MTHF and the other supplements couldn´t work fully and now they are able to...aah...I´m so confused now about everything and hope things will get better soon :(

Thinktank

@Nana86, perhaps you could try an omega3 product with a higher EPA than DHA ratio like @peggy-sue mentioned or trial an EPA-only product?.

@peggy-sue, that's very interesting. Omega 3 with a ratio of 2:1 DHA/EPA increases my brain fog so i only take it at night, i've never understood why that happens exactly. I know that histamine builds up in fish very quickly, being histamine intolerant i can't eat fish that hasn't been slaughtered right in front of me and prepared within minutes.

Does anyone know if the oil contains a certain amount of histamine or if X amount of DHA/EPA might trigger mast cell degranulation? Being pro-inflammatory instead of anti-inflammatory?

I've recently been prescribed an omega 3 product with a reversed ratio of 1:2 DHA/EPA, i thought that was strange but i guess the reason you mentioned is exactly why. I'll also try some EPA-only and see what kind of effect that will have on my brain fog.

Nutreval shows my EPA / DHA levels are excellent, tested twice! But it has also shown twice i have D6D enzyme impairment.... probably should take some black currant oil alongside omega 3.

Last edited:

peggy-sue

The EPA I take has GLA from evening primrose in it, the EPA comes from anchovies, before being purified.

It was both my brain and body that went downhill from the DHA - but I do know of others who say DHA has helped.
I just know it harms me.
But we're all different in our reactions to different things.
It is often just a matter of trying things to see.:(

peggy-sue

I take it with my evening meal. I take it fairly early on in eating, so that there is plenty more food to go on top of it.

That helps with it not "coming back" on me. If I take it too late in the meal, it does "come back", with fishy burps.
Dark chocolate is the only thing that will deal with that.

Fishy burps are not pleasant, but I don't know what you mean by it being a bad sign? @maryb

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@peggy-sue
oh if things start repeating on me then this usually leads to me starting to feel sick , this can go on for weeks once it starts so I try to avoid it.
Just getting over a 6 weeker, not much fun, so I'm being very very careful.