• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questions about B12

1. My serum B12 was >2,000, and that was not with any supplements. Rich told me this was because the B12 is not getting into the cells...... but , why not? What is it that stops it getting in, and does this have anything to do with Methylation?

2. My Red Blood cell folate was low, and Rich said that this was because the cell membrane was too permeable/leaky..... so maybe it gets in and then leaks out ? Does this apply to B12 too ? Would fixing the leaky cells help B12 to get in?

3. I have MCV of 107, low rbc and low Platelets...... and I have had this for years and the various doctors, including 3 hematologists discount this because my B12 and Folate are "normal", serum MMA was normal and Homocysteine was below normal initially and is now low normal. I know I have
C677T +/+, so I know I have a Folate problem, but I also have Chronic Chlamydia Pneumonia infection, and CPn causes antibodies to B12. What other tests can I do to investigate the B12, given that my MMA and Homocysteine are OK ?

Lotus97

I don't remember the explanation as to why people get high B12 serum reading, but you need to take B12 sublingually to absorb it properly.