• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about chelation

TheChosenOne

I'm gonna try out chelation in a few weeks. The problem is that all the information is a bit scattered and my brain fog isn't helping with that.
What Cutler says:
DMPS every 8 hours or DMSA every 3-4 hours. Dosage: 50-300 mg (is this for both DMPS/DMSA?). Period: Every other week or 10 days on 4 days off.
ALA every 3-4 hours. Dosage: starting at 25-50 mg to 100-200 mg. Period: A few days to a few weeks, with rests in between. He says that you have to use DMPS/DMSA at the same time, which is a bit weird, because they have another schedule.

Where can you get this stuff? I see that most people buy it on livingnetwork.

Sidereal

You can get the chelators from Living Network but that means shipping from South Africa. Everything Spectrum, an American website, sells 5 mg capsules of ALA. Kirkman Labs do 25 mg capsules which you can get on iHerb.

I don't know how sick you are but you may find those doses too high to start off with. Some people have to start at 1 mg depending on how toxic or chemically sensitive. I tried my first round at 25 mg of ALA and the side effects were extreme. I had to discontinue it.

The initial protocol laid out in Cutler's 1999 book has evolved slightly over the years in the sense that as more people were doing it, it became apparent that many people needed lower doses and that ALA is better tolerated on a three-hour schedule instead of four. I think these days people feel 12.5 mg of DMSA is a reasonable starting dose. Once you can handle that you might try adding ALA.

More details on the dosing protocol here:

http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/chelation-the-andy-cutler-protocol/

Frequent dose chelation Yahoo group is the best place to ask questions / get info on this.

Good luck.

TheChosenOne

Thanks for your answer!
What do you think about DMPS? It is known to lessen the side effects and it also chelates lead.

Gondwanaland

Oh, @TheChosenOne , I love your screen name :rofl:

Some people do not tolerate DMPS.

They have a lot of files with useful info at the Yahoo group mentioned by Sidereal, and the folks following Cutler's protocol are there.

izzy