• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll on tyramine sensitivity

Do you think you have a unusually high sensitivity to tyramine containing foods (think aged foods)?

• YES

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vision blue

Tyramine is a biogenic amine. Its similar in some ways to histamine, except broken down by MAO not DAO . Biogenic amines tend to be produced by protein as it ages (breakdown product of protein along with other amines) and sometimes by bacterial processing of undigested stuff. I should have clarified that the poll is only useful if NOT on an MAO-A inhibitor. That is, those who are on a drug known to inhbit the monamine oxidase A enzyme, are known to have bad effects from tyramine containing foods, but am asking about those who are not on such meds. Am asking because its a missing puzzle piece for me. ONe of the odd things that happened to me when I crashed from this illness was a senstivity to tyramine foods that has grown over the years. I think its connected, but really am not sure how.