• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PLZ HELP W/RESULTS CFS/Chronic Daily Headache/Lyme WHAT's NEXT

HI guys, please help me get to the bottom of my health problems. I've been struggling with taking Antibiotics for Lyme, and Antivirals for CMV/EBV/HSV6 and none of it really helps.

The only spot of light has been finding out about the below Mutations, which may mean I need B12. Please help if you can. Thank you so much. I've cobbled everything here together from reading all of your wonderful posts.

MTHFR heterozygous mutation:
MTHFR A1298C

homozygous mutations:
COMT V158M
COMT H62H
MAO-A R297R
CBS C699T

heterozygous mutations:
VDR Bsm
VDR Taq
MTRR H595Y
MTRR K350A
BHMT-02
BHMT-04
BHM-08
AHCY-01
AHCY-02
AHCY-19

detox homozygous:
CYP1B1 L432V
CYP1B1 N453S
SOD2 A16V

detox heterozygous:
CYP1A2 164A>C
CYP1B1 R48G
CYP2D6 S486T
CYP2D6 2850C>T
CYP2E1*1B 9896C>G
CYP2E1*4 4768G>A
NAT2 I114T
NAT2 R197Q
NAT2 K268R

I have been reading a lot of Dr. Yasko’s material and decided I wanted to try Fredd’s Protocol.
So I will try to break down my results, and would really appreciate your expertise.

I have Heterozygous MTHFR A1298C but not the compound mutation:
Prospective Therapy: Tiny dose of mb12 cycled in/out may help. Methylfolate definitely needed, Niacin for overmethylation.

Then I have the homozygous COMT V158M, COMT H62H, and heterozygous VDR Bsm, VDR Taq
Prospective Therapy: take no hydroxocobalamin, tiny doses of mb12 and more ADB12. E.g. 10 mcg and slowly titrate up to 100 mcg. Don’t really know what to do with the VDR.

Homozygous MAO-A R297R so slow degradation of amine Neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin.
Therapy: don’t worry.

homozygous CBS C699T:
Prospective Therapy: For CBS keep B6 below 20mg, P5P form is preferred. 100mg or 50mg would be an overdose. molybdenum 75mcg.

STEP A: So to put together an overall plan, I am going to start with a shortened Ammonia Protocol for 1 week:
Charcoal and Magnesium Flushes:1 to 2 capsules of charcoal, followed by enough magnesium citrate to produce a bowel movement within 8–12 hours. Once per week or more depend-ing on testing and behaviors.
Zinc: Chewable zinc tablets with slippery elm also benefit the gut. Dosing begins with ¼ tablet and increases to one tablet per day. The liquid zinc, zinc capsules, or krebs cycle zinc (once glutamate and GABA levels are balanced) are also an option. High dose zinc can trigger glutamate receptor activity, so only use 40mg
(or less) of zinc per day of zinc picolinate.
molybdenum 75mcg, not taking manganese b/c of lyme.

STEP B: Then start with the Essentials/Critical Stuff:
vit.a

Now Foods Vitamin A, 25000 IU from Fish liver oil, 250 Soft-gels
1/day

b complex
pure encapsulations B-Complex Plus (with Metafolin L-5-MTHF) or Thorne Research

Inositol
Jarrow Formulas, Inositol, 8 oz (227 g)
1/24 tsp, 2xday

vit. d
Now Foods, Vitamin D-3, 2000 IU, 240 Softgels
3000-5000 IU total

e complex
Now Foods, Gamma E Complex, Advanced, 120 Softgels
2 gels/day

calcium
NOW Foods Calcium Citrate

magnesium
Carlson Labs, Chelated Magnesium, 180 Tablets
2 tabs/day (400mg)

omega 3 oils
BJ's brand
6/day

potassium
Now Foods Potassium Citrate 99 mg Capsules
Start with ½ capsule build up to 2 caps a day. (Start with 99mg twice a day. Each time you experience muscle spasms and other low potassium symptoms take 500mg and add another 99mg to each daily dose. Learn what your asymptoms are so you know when to take an extra dose and to increase the regular dose.

zinc
Natural Factors, Zinc Chelate, 25 mg, 90 Tablets
2 tabs/day, preferably at mealtime

C
Now Foods, Calcium Ascorbate 100% Pure Buffered Vitamin C Powder, 8 oz (227 g)
1/4tspx2/day-1/4tspx4/day (4000+mg/day)

Molybdenum
Molybdenum 500 mcg 60 Capsules By Douglas Labs
500 mcg in morning and evening

wait FEW DAYS then add

adb12
Country Life Dibencozide (adenosylb12) or Source Naturals, Dibencozide Coenzymated B-12 or Anabol Naturals Dibencoplex (B-12 10,000 Mcg) ,(An Active Oral Form of B-12. Dibencozide Can Be Effective Taken Orally and Is Retained in Body Tissues to a Greater Degree Than Regular B-12)60 Capsules
Take under upper lip or tongue for at least 45 minutes for best effectiveness
1/8 tab (1.2gm) when 10gm/day of Methylb12 reached
Dosage of 5-10mg of mb12 per mg of adb12.
Build up to a daily dose of ¼ tab (2.5mg) of dibencozide or 10mg each 4 days until it has no more immediate startup effects from a dose and then perhaps once a week or more as it has effectiveness.

wait FEW DAYS then add

methylfolate

Solgar Folate 800 Mcg (as Metafolin) - 100 Tablets
2 tabs/day – ½ tab 15 mins before meal and ½ tab 15 mins after meal

wait FEW DAYS then add

mB12
Jarrow
Take under upper lip or tongue for at least 45 minutes for best effectiveness
Start ¼ lozenge (1.2gm)/meal
Increase to ½ loz before moving up to next meal
Build up to ¾ loz/meal – 10gm/day

wait FEW DAYS then add

l-carnitine fumarate
Doctor's Best, Best L-Carnitine Fumarate, 855 mg, 180 Veggie Caps
2 caps/day

My main questions are:

1. Should I take a dedicated hydroxylcobalamin B12? Is there anyone that is non injection.

2. Would you approve of my protocol? I really don’t know what I’m doing, and am relying on this great community to point something out if it looks wrong. Thank you!

Eddie

taniaaust1

Hi, I cant answer your questions exactly but would like to make a couple of comments. I have a few of the same mutations as you do.

The CBS mutation.. due to that one I suppose, my hair test analyses results were always that I had nearly nil molybdenenum.. it was at 0.01. Molybdenum is an essential trace mineral, babies without this die.

I took Trace Nutrients brand "MolyZinc" which has 100mcg molybdenum per pill (and 5mg zinc). After only 5 days supplementation, I found I could suddenly do maths in my head again, something I hadnt been able to do for years.... so obviously the deficiency was making things for me worst. My hair test results thou its now 2/3s the way to getting towards normal range and now showing well on the graph, after a year of supplementation Im thou still deficient. I'll probably go to taking a different molybdenum supplement (my hair test zinc levels, I dont need any more zinc so dont want to go to 2 pills of that molyzinc supplement. Thanks for the one you listed.

The VDR Taq mutation, some of us at this site think homo VDR Taq may be causing problems in the body with lithium absorption. 5 of us were discussing the problems we had with lithium deficiency on hair tests and then realised we all were homo for that (and its not a common mutation).

My hair tests show up no lithium in my body.. even with supplementation of it for a year, it still dont show up on my test results. I had borderline low white blood cell counts, lithium orotate supplementation I didnt know at the time but it can be used to help get these into a better range.. it did too in my case. Taking it thou it hasnt physically helped me, it has doubled my white blood cell count into now a good range.. it had hovered around low (indicating chronic infection) for 7 years before this.

Anyway.. no idea if our observation about the VDR Taq and lithium will one day be found to be correct and we were all homo for it and not hetero so even if it is correct doesnt mean you may have issues with lithium absorption but I just thought I'd bring this to your attention just in case.

(You may want to consider hair testing some time to see if these mutations actually have affected your levels of molybdenum and lithium and if so by how much).

Note.. I had high copper on my hair test.. maybe cause of my almost nil molybdenum due to the CBS. My copper has been dropping and now is in normal range as my molybdenum with supplementation raised (unless it was just due to something else I also took.. selenium.. to try to get my very high copper down).

Hi taniaaust1! I also have low white blood cell count!

interesting about that, thank you so much for your message. I was planning on supplementing with molybdenum but now am going to try with lithium orotate.

Can you let me know how you do hair tests though? I have not tried it ever, and would be really interested in doing so. Bless you for your help!

joshi81

Why if you have only the Ethero mutation of MTFHR 1298 and a normal MTHR 677 you say that methylfolate is needed? If you read Ben Lynch he sasy that if you have just that mutation and is not compuond with the 677 there should be no concern or need to supplement methylfolate because you can produce it without any problem...
I am asking you because i have the same mutation as you and i was wondering what meaning should i do to it...

Valentijn

@eddiestacks - You probably do need some B12 due to your MTRR mutations, but might do fine with a small-ish dose.

The research indicates that heterozygous MTHFR A1298C by itself does not reduce folate levels at all, so no reason to supplement that. If you do supplement it, a normal dose should be plenty.

You can ignore Yasko's CBS crap. You have the good version. For some reason she has confused CBS C699T "+/+" with the effects of having half of the entire gene lopped off in a bioengineered yeast. Seriously crazy stuff.

You have the slower version of COMT and MAOA, so you might not tolerate methylB12, especially in higher doses. HydroxoB12 might therefore be the safer version to try, especially if you take a high dose for some reason.