• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please tell me about the day you got CFS

halcyon

Classic biphasic ME onset. Had a severe gastrointestinal viral infection, seemed to recover for a few days, then suddenly developed myalgia and fasiculations in my lower limbs and uncomfortable heart palpitations and tachycardia, then vestibular neuritis. Finally on 2/1/2014 at 4PM, like a switch was flipped, had a sudden attack of dizziness/tachycardia/hypoglycemia/altered mental state. Ended up in the ER with highly elevated WBC count and messed up electrolytes. Have never returned to how I was before the sudden onset.

Amaya2014

Not to get this thread off track but @BurnA was your vaccine the live quadrivalent influenza? I'm curious because I have a high suspicion that's what did me in. Just this week I learned it was approved by the FDA for rollout for the 2013-14 flu season.

Online it looks like a lot of people had severe reactions to it. As active military, flu vaccines had always been mandatory for me but outside of a small cold I was never bothered too much.

BurnA

Not to get this thread off track but @BurnA was your vaccine the live quadrivalent influenza? I'm curious because I have a high suspicion that's what did me in. Just this week I learned it was approved by the FDA for rollout for the 2013-14 flu season.

Hi @Amaya2014 my vaccine was a trivalent injection ( attenuated ) I have no idea at all if it played a part in my onset but when there are so many unknowns it's hard to rule anything in or out.

msf

Mine was similar to Halycon´s, but with false appendicitis, exudative pharyngitis and mesenteric lymphadenitis. I went on to develop what could have been Reiter´s triad, enthesitis and then polyradiculitis, along with the myalgia, fasciculations and disrupted sleep. It turns out it wasn´t a virus in my case but a bacteria, Yersinia Enterocolitica.

It will be interesting to see which symptoms are common to us all (I´m guessing the eponymous myalgia for one) and which ones are particular to individual patients. If someone was very clever it might give them an insight into the how much pathophysiology is shared between those with different ME symptoms, and if they were even cleverer it might suggest how many (or how many types) of pathogens or triggering mechanisms are involved.