• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

One month of CBD Oil and immune shift?

ChrisD

I hadn't had a Cold or Flu for around a year and a half until this week, and prior to that whenever I caught a cold (whilst I had mild CFS and Fibromyalgia) it would help to alleviate some of my symptoms, which made me sure of immune system dysfunction.

Around a month or so a go I started using a few drops of CBD oil a day and I have really noticed the effect of it in terms of sleep (from 6 hours to 9/10 hours), slightly more deep and refreshing but still not great, and also muscle tightness/aching, chest tightness, air hunger etc. improved.

I've noticed a few people on forums saying that it has led to them catching their first cold in many years, which is exactly what has happened to me and not only that but I don't seem to be able to shift what seems to be a 4 day cold for everyone else (7-8 days for me so far).

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas why?

xrayspex

maybe it down regulated your immune system? I have thought over the years that mine is up regulated at times because I have had long stretches of not getting sick either. CBD oil made me depressed so can't use regularly although it was helpful for pain......but the blah factor negative outlook factor is too consistent and large to make regular use attractive for me. Not sure if depression of sorts is part of a down regulation........

Wayne

Around a month or so a go I started using a few drops of CBD oil a day and I have really noticed the effect of it in terms of sleep (from 6 hours to 9/10 hours), slightly more deep and refreshing but still not great, and also muscle tightness/aching, chest tightness, air hunger etc. improved.

Hi @ChrisD,

Congratulations on your improvements. They strike me as quite impressive, especially the sleep improvement. I was wondering if you could give some specifics on what type of CBD oil you used--and how you came to choose that particular type. The whole field of CBD oil and cannabis feels pretty overwhelming for me, just not knowing where to start--though I strongly feel I need to. -- Thanks!​

ChrisD

Hi @ChrisD,

Congratulations on your improvements. They strike me as quite impressive, especially the sleep improvement. I was wondering if you could give some specifics on what type of CBD oil you used--and how you came to choose that particular type. The whole field of CBD oil and cannabis feels pretty overwhelming for me, just not knowing where to start--though I strongly feel I need to. -- Thanks!​

I should note that if you have seen any of my other posts on this forum, that I am using a number of protocols simultaneously; such as Ketogenic Diet, Various mitochondrial supplements, probiotics. But I have noticed the above improvements on top of all these protocols, since I stated CBD Oil.

I have Started CBD at quite a low dose to adapt to it
  • 26mg CBD per ml for 2 weeks
  • 40mg per ml for 2 weeks
And I just went for the best value product in the UK, I haven't got too deep into research and have just gone on a word of mouth if I am honest.

I didn't really notice that many effects of the 26mg per ml, but it was when I stepped up to the 40mg per ml that I would notice significant relaxing of muscles, clearing of airways and sinuses, and a general good feeling in my body (Not High ha!). It's quite hard to explain all the gradual tiny changes but paired with Keto I feel more well, more of the time now (I would say I am at 15% using Keto, supps, probiotics from 0% at the worst of my illness - 20% temporarily with CBD but not lasting).

ljimbo423

I've noticed a few people on forums saying that it has led to them catching their first cold in many years, which is exactly what has happened to me and not only that but I don't seem to be able to shift what seems to be a 4 day cold for everyone else (7-8 days for me so far).

I found this after doing a little research-

Cannabinoids are potent anti-inflammatory agents and they exert their effects through induction of apoptosis, inhibition of cell proliferation, suppression of cytokine production and induction of T-regulatory cells (Tregs).

In this review, we provide an in-depth description of all four different mechanisms and we further discuss the immunosuppressive properties of cannabinoids in the context of inflammatory and autoimmune disease states, triggered by cellular rather than humoral components of the immune system.

One major mechanism of immunosupression by cannabinoids is the induction of cell death or apoptosis in immune cell populations.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2828614/

I don't know if this applies to the specific CBD oil you are using but I thought you might be interested in it. Cannabinoids do seem to have immunosuppressive effects.

If I understand this review right, it says cannabinoids mainly suppress cellular immunity, which is the part of the immune system that prevents colds and flu's.

I think my cellular immunity is upregulated, that's why I rarely catch a cold or a flu.

Jim

ChrisD

Had to google hemp or cannabis first to understand this question. Where I life these terms mean the same plant: Cannabis sattiva or Canabis indica and mixtures of both.

While with your use you probably mean low THC strains of hemp.

@Sushi my CBD Oil is from Sativa plant. I've just purchased a stronger tincture as I feel that my body is somewhat adapting to my current use and feeling less of an effect.

pamojja

just wrote a blog on the difference between hemp based and cannabis based CBD

Again, what he calls hemp is Cannabis sattiva, what he calls cannabis is Cannabis indica, different species of the same Cannabis genus. Taxonomically speaking. Both cannabis species have different proportions of CBD vs. THC. However, the CBD in each is exactly the same chemical compound.

Also old people here say before world war 2 the designation 'hemp' was used for both Cannabis species.

ChrisD

Again, what he calls hemp is Cannabis sattiva, what he calls cannabis is Cannabis indica, different species of the same Cannabis genus. Taxonomically speaking. Both cannabis species have different proportions of CBD vs. THC. However, the CBD in each is exactly the same chemical compound..

@pamojja That's interesting. I wasn't aware til recently of the difference between CBDa and CBD until recently, and it's still not totally clear. I would like to get hold of some CBD with some more THC as that seems to be where the true healing comes in, but I am a little concerned about psychoactive reactions.

pamojja

I would like to get hold of some CBD with some more THC as that seems to be where the true healing comes in, but I am a little concerned about psychoactive reactions.

Don't know about the healing aspect, since I quit hemp long ago still with good health. However, I do have the impression out of experience that the psychoactive reactions of alcohol and its total toll on lives is so much, much more severe.

The worst psychoactive reaction experienced in youth myself, was when totally stoned couldn't solve a simple mathematical question before class on the blackboard anymore. So embarrassing, already everyone in class were whispering the easy solution. Still didn't get it :confused:. But even the teacher showed understanding for such an obvious momentary blackout (or knew out of own experience such things happen at times :whistle:).

What was your concern about the psychoactive part of it again?

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I am using cannabis based products. The Patient Advocate just wrote a blog on the difference between hemp based and cannabis based CBD.

Hemp is Cannabis Sativa.

The cannabis based products you're accessing now are the offspring of landrace hemp. Genetic drift and selection have resulted in strains much higher in THC.
The Patient Advocate
"In reality there are two allied plants"

No, they are the same plant. Different strains.
However, the CBD in each is exactly the same chemical compound.

That's it.

The thing I hate, especially being here in Japan where only cannabis products from stems and seeds are allowed, is that the Terpenes from the flowers (buds) are excluded.

Aside from absence of significant THC, I think the lack of terpenes is responsible for the difference between "hemp based" vs "cannabis based" products.

pamojja

We mean the same plant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_cannabis

The plant name Cannabis is from Greek κάνναβις (kánnabis), via Latin cannabis,[1] originally a Scythian or Thracian word,[2] also loaned into Persian as kanab. English hemp (Old English hænep) may be an early loan (predating Grimm's Law) from the same Scythian source.

Google translate: hemp = cannabis (latin)

hanf = german
chanvre = french
cáñamo = spanisch
麻 (Má) = chinese
भांग (bhaang) = hindi
قنب (qanab) = arabic
конопля (konoplya) = russian

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I have had a similar experience, I hadn't associated it with CBD oil though. I started a powerful anti-viral medication prior to using cannabidiol. It has seemed like I am going backwards through the experiences I've had with this illness. :thumbsup:

Around a month or so a go I started using a few drops of CBD oil a day and I have really noticed the effect of it in terms of sleep (from 6 hours to 9/10 hours), slightly more deep and refreshing but still not great,

That is exactly how it has been for me. Clearly better sleep, but it is just as rare as before to wake feeling truly refreshed.

I have Started CBD at quite a low dose to adapt to it
  • 26mg CBD per ml for 2 weeks
  • 40mg per ml for 2 weeks

How many drops are you taking a day? The oil I use is 30mg per ml and I take three drops a day.

halcyon

Cannabinoids have multiple immunosuppressive effects. From the research I’ve looked at, I think they are a horrible idea for people with ME. They negatively impact NK and other immune cells and cause a potent th2 shift, both things the disease itself already causes.

ChrisD

How many drops are you taking a day? The oil I use is 30mg per ml and I take three drops a day.

I have been taking 2x drops of the 40mg a day, however I have just gone up a strength again. My cold has gone and I am still sleeping longer with less muscle tightness, so at the moment the positives outweigh the negatives, of which there are currently none. Interesting to hear your counter opinion @halcyon I will be cautious.