• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

oh alcohol....

Stuart

I find this fascinating and one of those things you're not likely to talk to your doctor about. While intolerance to alcohol and caffeine is common, I have both in bouts, the benefits is also apparent to many of us.

I survived on coffee when I could work, but only just manage work, and nothing else. Coffee sometimes can have several positive effects, and I'd expect just a caffeine tablet would not do the same.

Some of us note specifically red wine's benefits, but simply supplementing with resveratrol does not work the same way, so something is also involved with the alcohol. I like dark beer as well, I am sure there maybe some beneficial compounds there as well.

These have benefits that a shot of pure alcohol would not, but the alcohol is also doing something. I have some awareness that not all alcohols are the same either, that there are forms or esters of alcohol, the ingredients, fermentation, distillation processes might all contribute, so peeling this onion might be rather involved.

The red wine vs resveratrol vs pure alcohol distinctions reminds me that many with FM or ME find Vicodin or Norco or Co-comadol to be one of the few medications that works well for them. Not only as effective pain relief, but we notice some alleviation of other symptoms. Something about an opiate whether it is hydrocodone or codeine plus acetaminophen (ACET) aka 'Tylenol' or 'Paracetemol,' works in ways taking just one alone does not.

The side effects and potential damage @Mary has noted about these is true as well, I always tried to take minimum doses needed for acute conditions, not to take as a daily regime. We often have liver and kidney issues as downstream or comorbid issues, many medications take a cumulative toll on both. It is hard to find something that works, but then having to decide when it is worth using it when it may lead to further medical complications.

I have yet to make my way through this thread on opiate medications relieving symptoms, but I am certain I will find some common experiences. It is unfortunate that how these things work are not well known, and that these common patient experiences are not likely to be discussed with our clinical nor research people.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ome-of-my-neurological-me-cfs-symptoms.22751/

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
I like dark beer as well, I am sure there maybe some beneficial compounds there as well. ... These have benefits that a shot of pure alcohol would not, but the alcohol is also doing something.
It´s funny, isn´t it? Guiness had such a positive effect on me sometimes. Although non-dark beer had too, I ever wondered what might be special here. Guiness is also nice as it doesn`t contain much alcohol.

One componend for sure must be the hops (inhibiting iNOS). Ever since I´ve read of this inhibition I used to drink consequently beer with a lot of hops. These both effects:
1) Alcohol guessed to block NMDA, which I would "confirm" as I experienced some very same effect from Dextromethorphan which blocks NMDA too (and has effects on serotine), or even Agmatin with effects on NMDA.
I was not able until now to identify the guessed effect on GABA.
2) Hops, also in beer without alcohol, it´s not as good, but good too, I can tell.

The synergia-effect then. And I would agree, pure alcohol is nonsense, at least for me.
Red wine never worked for me, even resveratrol without alcohol could be bad for me. It´s all a miracle as well, isn´t it?
But what´s funny with beer too is that it had effects on me, good effects, the next day, when the alcohol already has gone (this does not happen when I drank beer without alcohol).

Alcohol has effects on the dopmine-system as well, like nicotine. It´s no good, I would say. At some stages of my illness this effect has the upper hand, luckily, some say. I wouldn´t mind too much - but - as I feel "somehow" safe, and as I know, one isneversafe when one is using drugs. Anyway, you´re right, its intersting too, and it should be not denied that man is not all "serious" and sometimes likes to be high.

Last edited:

Prefect

Alcohol is metabolized in the body into acetate, which the brain can use as an alternate fuel source to glucose. This may also be why alcohol helps some people.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
But I do feel I benefit a lot from dark chocolate ... I think it's likely the tryptophan that contributes to mood lift.
I too ever wondered why chocolate helps me. Now I think it´s nickel (also much found in cashew).
The tryptophan, so I´ve read, would not do (much), same as with bananas, but I´ve forgotten why.

Pen2

Support, Good Medicine.
So, I had hoped for alcohol....not helpful for me.
I tried a mixed drink. Does it matter what type of alcohol?
I had some vodka with diet coke. ( I know, soda)
I just felt dizzy then very thirsty. I drank a bunch of water which in turn bloated my stomach!

Needless to say I didn't have a good experience.
I was having problems with my IBS so that may have contributed too.