• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New symptoms while on active protocol

I've been doing the active B12 protocol for the last 9 months with great success. I've had CFS for almost 10 years and this has protocol has gotten me back on my feet and almost living "normally."

I've had blips in the process but increasing potassium (and occasionally magnesium) seems to do the trick. When I started the process, I struggled with folate deficiency, but increasing my dosage addressed this as well and I've settled into a 4,000 mcg dosage.

But this time, the symptoms have been markedly different. Tingling and numbness in my limbs, headaches, tight muscles, heat intolerance, minor palpitations, irregular breathing, but only a small increase in my overall fatigue. These all tend to increase into the evening and night time. I'm now into day 5 of the symptoms and am struggling to get myself back on track.

I've tried potassium, bumping up my metafolin by 1,600 mcg, and magnesium, to no. In the past, my BP and HR increases would be the telltale signs of potassium need, but I haven't had those this time around.

My current regimen is 5mg mcbl, 1mg Adcbl, 4,000-5,600 mcg metafolin, 300mg LCF, 60 mg zinc, 1200 mg Lecithin, 2000 mg Vit C, and a multi that doesn't contain folic acid.

Any suggestions?

Freddd

Hi Mayo,

For starters I would suggest looking at these symptoms lists and seed if you fit one or two of the patterns shown. There are also anpother dozen or more induced deficiencies that could be occurring.

Group 1 – Hypokalemia onset. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with CyCbl (Cyanocobalamin) it is very common with MeCbl (methylcobalamin) and AdoCbl (adenosylcobalamin) and less so with HyCbl (Hydroxycobalamin).

There does not appear to be a clear order of onset. The order of onset varies widely from person to person but many appear consistent for each episode for any given person. There tend to be more and more intense symptoms as it gets worse. Some people have ended up in the ER because of not recognizing the symptoms.

IBS – Steady constipation, Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum,

Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, spasms and excruciating pain in neck muscles, waking up screaming in pain from muscle spasms in legs. Muscle weakness

Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), increased pulse rate, increased blood pressure

Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.

Group 2a - Both

IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation

Group 2b – Either or both

Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue

Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency

These symptoms appear in 2 forms generally, the milder symptoms that start with partial methylation block and the more severe symptoms that come on as partial methylation block gets worse or very quickly with methyltrap onset.

Edema - An additional thing I would like to mention. I would never have found it without 5 years of watching the onset of paradoxical folate insufficiency and trying to catch it earlier and earlier and to figure out what was causing it and to reverse it. For me the onset order goes back to the day of onset now with edema and a sudden increase of weight. I noticed that within 2 hours of taking sufficient Metafolin I would have an increase in urine output.

Old symptoms returning

Edema

Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores,

Skin rashes, increased acne, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips,

Increased hypersensitive responses, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms

IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract,

Coated tongue, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Increase irritability, Heart palpitations,

Longer term, very serious

Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, bleeding easily

Group 4 - HyCbl onset, degraded MeCbl onset, MeCbl after photolytic breakdown onset.

Itchy bumps generally on scalp or face that develops to acne like lesions in a few days from start.

Now let's look at heart palpitations. That shows up in group 1 from low potassium. Another thing I had was heart palpitations from taking B-complex once a day. It went away with twice a day b-complex. The total b1 a day at or below 20mg, b2 at or below 40mg/day and b3 at or below 100mg/day. These are things that you might consider or consider trialing. I can't tell you what it is, just possibilities that I have frequently seen and/or experienced.

It has taken me as much as 2000-3000mg of potassium daily and 15mg of l-methylfolate to get these things all balanced out. Right now I need about 1800+mg a day of potassium and a 14,400mcg of Metafolin daily.

The muscle things are fairly common. Are you taking all of the Deadlock Quartet? And not whey, NAC, glutathione, MAXGL and other things like those?

Thanks for the response, Freddd and girlfromeurope.

Looking through the lists again, I notice I have some skin peeling taking place. I deal with this a lot during the winter, but found it odd taking place in the humid summer. Irritability has also increased, but I chalked that one up to my kids. Perhaps I should lay the blame elsewhere... As such, I'll increase my Metafolin dosage.

I am taking all of the Deadlock Quartet. And am avoiding whey, NAC, glutathione and other related things. Early on, I was taking a magnesium supplement that included glutathione. Learned about that one the hard way.

I also realize I need to address the B vitamins and will work on titrating that into my regimen.

I really appreciate the time people in this community take to respond.