• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New sleep meds on the rise??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Interesting article while searching for new sleep meds http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...5392659897114.html#project=DREAMLANDDRUGS0621
A new sleep drug by Merck & Co. is expected to gain U.S. approval in the coming months, even as its main competitor is coming under growing scrutiny by regulators and doctors for sometimes-dangerous side effects.

The new drug, known as suvorexant, will affect a different part of the brain than a generation of older medicines such as zolpidem, known as Ambien, which depresses brain activity. The hope is that suvorexant will cause fewer side effects than its older counterparts.

Suvorexant/orexin has been waiting approval for along time now. They seem to be slow in approving this class of meds.

I think they need to come up with a med that has reduced tolerance and can be used for long term insomnia which also help sleep initiation and maintenance. :thumbsup:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
heapsreal

I wish they would approve it but it is going to cost! At least it will be a long time before US insurance will pay for it.

Ambien was really expensive before the generic.

Sushi

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
agree sushi, but if it gets approved sooner then the sooner it will go generic. Also i think then there will be a push from other companies to develop new sleep meds, i hope.