• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Here, Guidance Needed.. 23andMe CBS, MTRR, MTHFR concerns

I know two people with the minor CBS mutation and it doesn't seem to be much of a problem for them. If you're tolerating a decent amount of methyl donors (methylfolate and methylcobalamin) then you're probably ok. A cortisol/stress/anxiety response would be a sign that you need to look at CBS. You can get urine sulfate strips and if it's high, that would be another indication. Another one would be a high ammonia test, but that one's more expensive.

I'm not sure what a potassium deficiency response is like. I lean towards needing more magnesium instead of potassium.
So, I went ahead and got the sulfite strips from Yasko, but the ones I received seem different than what people on this forum are talking about. I read people making mention of ranges up to 1600! The strips I have go from 10-400. Are these the same? Am I somehow reading this wrong? Thanks!

dbkita

Hi Andy,
I was just reviewing Yasko's Vimeo video on CBS and noticed that she said that B6 (P5P) increases CBS activity. This would cause any methyl groups to go shooting down the CBS drain. So you would actually want to mostly limit your intake of P5P. (a little bit is apparently desired). So if the methyl groups are shooting down the drain, they won't be available to make neurotransmitters, thus depression.

I'm not sure about the phosphatidylcholine or zinc, but it sounds like you're just not ready for them yet or you're possibly taking too much.

It really sounds like CBS is an issue for you.

You may want to see the latest analysis I did on the CBS activity question in the "Couple of questions" thread.

P5p intake could easily I believe make up for any differences in the standard C699T and C1080T SNPs for a person with the wild type (i.e. increasing p5p by a sufficient amount could mimic the 10% or so bump in trans-sulfuration flux for someone with the homozygous C669T four hours after a HUGE influx of methionine).

While p5p can effect it, the idea of "shooting down" or 10x upregulation is not correct based on my analysis.

You may want to see the latest analysis I did on the CBS activity question in the "Couple of questions" thread.

P5p intake could easily I believe make up for any differences in the standard C699T and C1080T SNPs for a person with the wild type (i.e. increasing p5p by a sufficient amount could mimic the 10% or so bump in trans-sulfuration flux for someone with the homozygous C669T four hours after a HUGE influx of methionine).

While p5p can effect it, the idea of "shooting down" or 10x upregulation is not correct based on my analysis.

dbkita:

I posted in the "couple of questions" thread to try and get a better understanding on a couple of points made in the thread.
I think it's great that you are looking into the CBS issue because there seems to be a lot of disagreement on the issue.