• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need help. trying to understand glutathione testing and supplementation

overtheedge

Test glutathione or glutathione peroxidase? Would the difference be significant? I received a test result recently that says that my Total Glutathione is very close to being low. Is that something that can be relied upon to be accurate?

Has anyone here found a low glutathione test result and managed to correct it?

I'm already on a good number of methylation supplements and they have corrected my homocysteine level but haven't done enough for my glutathione levels or so it would seem

I've been making a list of supplements to test out in an attempt to raise the glutathione assuming the total glutathione is shooting me straight about low levels:

1. Reduced Glutathione

2. Bioactive Whey Protein[been taking regular whey protein isolate so if it was going to correct my levels it should have done so by now, read a number of articles online and continually came up with recommendations nearly identical to this one that came from mercola's website so I figure this is the consensus on what medicinal whey protein should be:

Be sure your whey protein supplement has the following features:
  1. The whey comes from grass-fed cows that are not treated with pesticides or hormones
  2. Cold processed, since heat destroys whey’s fragile molecular structure
  3. Whey protein concentrate, not protein isolates
  4. Sweetened naturally, not artificially, and low in carbohydrates
  5. Highly digestible—look for medium chain fatty acids (MCTs), not long chain fatty acids
3. Liposomal Glutathione

4. NAC (I've already tried it in the past, had incredible results off and on for a month and then it faded to nothing. that was three years ago, haven't been able to get any results from it since then despite numerous short tests. Maybe I need to take it for a good bit for it to work?)

My selenium levels are fine
Should I perhaps test my sulfate levels?

overtheedge

Still working on it unfortunately, been using SAG(S-acetyl-GSH) for a bit now with good effect but my health has been chaotic lately due to fevers so despite how very promising the SAG's effects were when I used it for a week or two back a while ago before I started getting these infections or whatever they are I can't say yet how it's working for me now

overtheedge

Sad to say the SAG hasn't been doing anything, it's been a 1.5-2 months now but no luck. Don't know why it worked so well back months ago, it was the most promising reaction I've had to a med since I developed this recent form of CFS back five years ago or so. The SAG supplement also has NAC and B6 in it and I'm thinking of trying another supplement at some point with just SAG at some point.

I still haven't tried liposomal, going to get round to it one day, as for the others I have heard that reduced GSH doesn't work due to absorption problems and that CFS doctors initially thought bioactive whey protein promising but the effects often fade away, sometimes leaving patients worse than before, I wan't to say Dr. Cheney and the researcher Rich Van Konynenberg came to this conclusion, also it's expensive and often not covered by insurance.

Have you done any testing with GSH supplements? If so I'd be interested to hear your results
All the best