• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

National ME/FM Action Network: Canadian Parliamentary Questions

Mark

Received today via email from the ME/FM Action Network...

Hello,

Can you please share this email with your members? The Order Paper response is due in two weeks so there is still time to a) raise awareness and b) let the government know that people are interested in the response in hopes that they take the question seriously and provide a detailed response.

Parliament is not sitting this week so it’s a good time to contact MPs as many will be home in their ridings.

Thank you for your help,

Lisa Schneiderman

Dear Friends,

A series of question about ME/CFS has been submitted to the federal government by a Member of Parliament. The questions cover a myriad of issues facing the ME/CFS community including research, treatment and disability needs. The questions are on the “Order Paper”. According to Parliamentary rules, the government has 45 calendar days to respond, excluding days when the House of Commons is not sitting. The government must therefore respond to these questions on or before March 24, 2014.

You can read the questions here (in English and French) by scrolling down to Q 244. http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...anguage=E&Parl=41&Ses=2&DocId=6392851&File=12

The questions on the Order Paper focus primarily on ME/CFS, but most of the issues could apply to FM and MCS as well, and once the government issues its response, follow-up discussions with address more than just ME/CFS.

The order paper was prepared by a patient with ME/CFS and FM and she chose to focus on one illness to simply the question and improve the chances of getting a detailed response from the government.

Although the questions were submitted by the Liberal Health Critic, Dr. Hedy Fry, the questions are non-partisan. We would expect other parties to explain how they would respond if they were in power.

It would be helpful if you told your Member of Parliament (MP) that you are very interested in Order Paper Question 244 and in the government’s response. Below is a sample email that you could send your MP or use as the basis for your own email. You can find your MP’s email address at http://www.parl.gc.ca/Default.aspx?Language=E.

Dear ---insert MP name---,

I am one of your constituents and I want to draw your attention to a question that was recently placed on the Order Paper and is of great concern to me. Question 244 (submitted January 28) concerns Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), a chronic, often severely disabling neuroimmune disease.

I/my spouse/child/friend/etc.---- have/has had ME/CFS for ___#___ years and it has not been easy. I look forward to seeing how the government responds.

or

I know how difficult ME/CFS can be and I am looking forward to seeing how the government responds.

or

I/my spouse/child/friend/etc.---- have/has Fibromyalgia, which shares many characteristics with ME/CFS so I understand how important these questions are. I am very interested in seeing how the government responds to the questions about ME/CFS, and I would be interested in the government response to similar questions about fibromyalgia.

I hope you will pay close attention to Order Paper Question 244 and its response. Can you please let the government know that you are interested Question 244 and hope they will provide a detailed response.

------sign------

Thank you

Margaret Parlor

President