• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Side effects

Bdeep86

So I have been finally able to introduce the methylfolates after building the 12's. I have had some weird side effects though. I have a lot of tingling in my hands, tightening muscles, and joints are cracking and popping. I have gathered it could be low magnesium, low calcium or increased inflammation. Anyone had this before? Could it be anything other than the three things I mentioned? I appreciate any feedback.

stridor

Definitely maintain Mg levels. Everyone has symptoms when they start. Mine lasted only a couple of weeks. I felt better and worse at the same time. I did not have your symptoms.
When you fire up the methylation pathway, all sorts of things happen. You mobilize toxins, and you make more metabolic demands on nutrients and energy stores. You ever see those Japanese waterfalls? One fills, then flows into the next, which then fills and so on? That is what enzyme pathways do. We have to give our systems time to adapt to things and they will. Your cells have been (literally?) dying to have someone turn on the tap.

helen1

It could also be neurological damage caused by too much folate compared to B12. Which brand of B12 are you taking? Most of the B12 brands are poorly absorbed, so even a small amount of folate could cause neurological symptoms such as tingling.