• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation panel: to diagnose block or to tailor treatment?

Jenny

Thanks for these suggestions Freddd. I appreciate all the time you've given to this. I was on more Vit C, but decreased it as Rich said on another thread recently that taking more than a couple of grams might do more harm than good.

Incidentally, given that folates in veg may be a problem, what do you think about Terry Wahls' diet, set out on another thread, which includes very large amounts of kale and other dark green veg?

Jenny

Freddd

Thanks for these suggestions Freddd. I appreciate all the time you've given to this. I was on more Vit C, but decreased it as Rich said on another thread recently that taking more than a couple of grams might do more harm than good.

Incidentally, given that folates in veg may be a problem, what do you think about Terry Wahls' diet, set out on another thread, which includes very large amounts of kale and other dark green veg?

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

One thing I forgot to include in the previous post, a Vit A from fish liver oil or equivaelnrt rather than carotenes might work better.

A regards the kale etc, it has paradoxical folate deficiency writtten all over it for somebody susceptable.

Rosebud Dairy

Me, I don't do well with lots of green veg. I love them, but they aren't working well for me for now.

I have a similar crash pattern to freddd, in that, 3 days off protocol, I crash

I rely on high dose A/D fish oil (fermented!!!!) for my A/D kick, and do better treating that as a food, not as a supplement, so I am actually taking FEWER supplements, and getting as much as I can in my foods -- my own personal issue, certainly not one others needs to acquire.

I am now playing with pre-loading with 400-3000 mcg of metafolin before possible folic/folinic meals to see if I can reduce flare symptoms.....this will probably take a couple of weeks to figure out.

I told my doc today of my methylfolate/methylcobalamin/potassium (food based) protocol, and she was excited about the great symptom reduction I have had from all of this, so i have her blessing to proceed with critical elements and possible cofactors. I will probably add ubiquinol soon. I miss it! I already take alpha lipoid acid, and may start taking more EPA/DHA fish oils besides just my A/D fish oils. Still have to focus on potassium/magnesium, and I probably need to revisit iron.

Rosebud Dairy

oh, to add.....

If you can afford greater diagnostics, it can help, but going slow with supplements can get you many diagnostic answers, too.

It depends how much stock you put in tests, how much info you might need for family members, finances, and how much you need that info to stay on protocol

Rosebud Dairy

It looks like I must have to pre-load my metafolin before meals to block folic/folinic to prevent the PFD (Paradoxical Folate Deficiency)

As I carefully time and dose my metafolin pre-load, eliminate folic acid fortified foods, and watch the veggies, I am again getting symptom reduction.

Again, if you know your genetic status re: MTHFR (or any of the 50+ related polymorphisms), you may know where you stand with your veggies.

I love veggies, but I love being out of pain more.