• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methyl Causing headaches (Avoid Methyl Donors?)

Hello everyone. So iv came to realize that methylated vitamins seem to give me a banging headache and make me super tired. I was taking methyl b12 1 mg a while back and noticed it gave me headaches. I then switched to a one a day whole food multivitamin called naturelo, which has quite a few vitamins including 667 mg folate, 15 mcg methyl b12 and also noticed this gave me huge headaches again, had a few days off and they went.

So i thought id start slow and get some 400 mcg metafolin folate. Within hours i had a headache and was so tired i had to go to bed, like really really fatigued.

How can i treat my homozygous MTHFR A1298C and Folate deficiency if this keeps happening :(

Other genes

Homozygous

MAO-A R297R
MTRR A664A

Heterozygous

VDR Bsm
VDR Taq
MTRR A66G
CBS A360A

Last edited:
I don't have an answer, but wanted to let you know you are not alone! I can't take most supplements that are supposed to help bridge SNPs and/or help the body produce energy, calm neurotransmitters, etc. All B vitamins (in any form, even homeopathic), the supplements you mentioned, Zinc, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Bioflavoniods and more give me such strong headaches it feels like my brain is cooking, and not in a good way. My DO at the time advised if something makes me feel that bad, don't push through it as there is probably something it is doing that isn't good for me.

I never found an answer so will be watching this thread! Am also trying to adopt an HRT protocol at the moment but the hormones are producing similar headaches and am not sure my body can deal with this either. Not sure if this is related to the above intolerance but it feels similar, so I imagine so.

Chances are good there will be someone here who can speak with knowledge as to this challenge.

Moof

Do the non-methylated forms have the same effect? If you haven't tried, it might be worth a go. Obviously, it's possible to address a folate deficiency through food sources, as long as you can tolerate the foods and get access to them – not all of us can cook and shop as well as we'd like, of course.

I apparently have the same homozygous SNP according to 23andMe, though in my case I doubt it has much effect. My B12 deficiency was due to long-standing gastritis causing absorption problems, and B12 injections with a small amount of supplementary folate fixed it within a few weeks.

I'm sure @Tmonkyi is right in saying that if a supplement's causing symptoms, it isn't helping. In your position, I think I'd try a very low dose of non-methylated folate, then try the synthetic form (folic acid), and if I couldn't tolerate either, maybe look at food routes instead?

Do the non-methylated forms have the same effect? If you haven't tried, it might be worth a go. Obviously, it's possible to address a folate deficiency through food sources, as long as you can tolerate the foods and get access to them – not all of us can cook and shop as well as we'd like, of course.

I apparently have the same homozygous SNP according to 23andMe, though in my case I doubt it has much effect. My B12 deficiency was due to long-standing gastritis causing absorption problems, and B12 injections with a small amount of supplementary folate fixed it within a few weeks.

I'm sure @Tmonkyi is right in saying that if a supplement's causing symptoms, it isn't helping. In your position, I think I'd try a very low dose of non-methylated folate, then try the synthetic form (folic acid), and if I couldn't tolerate either, maybe look at food routes instead?

I thought we wasnt allowed to take folic acid if we have the MTHFR gene? how much folate did you take to fix your problems? i think i may try 200 mcg of folate tomorrow and see if that reacts to me. Also when you say to try a low dose of non methylated folate? what is that? i thought there was only folate and folic acid?

Moof

I thought we wasnt allowed to take folic acid if we have the MTHFR gene? how much folate did you take to fix your problems? i think i may try 200 mcg of folate tomorrow and see if that reacts to me. Also when you say to try a low dose of non methylated folate? what is that? i thought there was only folate and folic acid?

I'm never sure how much weight to put on these genetic mutations. They may have some effects for some of us, but we don't really know for sure yet how they interact with the rest of our genetic code. They're very, very common, and billions of people have lived perfectly healthy lives with them, so I doubt they have a massive impact in many of us. In my view, some of what's written about MTHFR mutations almost certainly began life as marketing copy for companies who profit from selling supplements! (Or maybe that's just me being an old cynic... :))

Anyway, the people who sell these genetic tests understand that it's a very incomplete picture, and advise you never to make any treatment decisions based on your results. I tend to file it under 'interesting, but as yet inconclusive'.

There are different types of folate, the methylated form being relatively new. It just means it's already been through some of the biochemical hoops your body would take it through. Folic acid is a synthetic form; it's cheap, easy available, and works really well for some people, but others find it harder to absorb. We are all different, and clearly your body doesn't like the methyl form! Unfortunately, methylated B vitamins have become a bit of a fad these days, so they always appear at the top of the search results. But maybe try a small dose of folic acid, the sort that women who're hoping to get pregnant take? Most pharmacies will likely have that in stock.

I'm never sure how much weight to put on these genetic mutations. They may have some effects for some of us, but we don't really know for sure yet how they interact with the rest of our genetic code. They're very, very common, and billions of people have lived perfectly healthy lives with them, so I doubt they have a massive impact in many of us. In my view, some of what's written about MTHFR mutations almost certainly began life as marketing copy for companies who profit from selling supplements! (Or maybe that's just me being an old cynic... :))

Anyway, the people who sell these genetic tests understand that it's a very incomplete picture, and advise you never to make any treatment decisions based on your results. I tend to file it under 'interesting, but as yet inconclusive'.

There are different types of folate, the methylated form being relatively new. It just means it's already been through some of the biochemical hoops your body would take it through. Folic acid is a synthetic form; it's cheap, easy available, and works really well for some people, but others find it harder to absorb. We are all different, and clearly your body doesn't like the methyl form! Unfortunately, methylated B vitamins have become a bit of a fad these days, so they always appear at the top of the search results. But maybe try a small dose of folic acid, the sort that women who're hoping to get pregnant take? Most pharmacies will likely have that in stock.

Thats a very good point Moof. So many companies out there saying about MTHFR and they always sell folate lol. so i think your right in some instances. I'm just so lost now tbh, i know i have a folate defienecy and the MTHFR gene, but when i take what im told will help im stopped because of these horrible headaches. Think i may get some folic acid and try that. And try maybe 200 mcg of folate instead of 400 and see how that is, after a few days though lol.