• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

magnesium oil even if COMT+ ?

I'm wondering about magnesium oil. I've been taking numerous supplements for years, at 100-300% RDA - zinc picolinate; copper; magnesium citrate rotated with magnesium malate - yet tests from Amy Yasko (urine amino acids, essential elements and toxic metals) indicate that I am in fact deficient in all of these. I know magnesium is essential for the up-take (if that's the correct term) of these other vital elements, but for some reason I am not absorbing it (or the others, it would seem) via the oral route. I've read http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/best-absorbed-magnesium.15943/ and have some magnesium glycinate and orotate on order, but I am curious whether the oil would be at least worth a try, even though I believe I am at least COMT+ (I am awaiting test results from Amy Yasko, but my symptoms tally to a huge degree with those of overmethylators).

Any advice or help would be much appreciated, thanks.

liverock

Overmethylaters use up copper and magnesium at a higher rate so they need higher doses of these minerals. Heavy metals lead and cadmium are also antagonists to copper, zinc, and magnesium and these could be lowering your mineral levels.
This is a small study showing how mag oil affects the calcium/magnesium ratio and how it lowers heavy metals.

http://www.cnelm.com/NutritionPractitioner/Issues/Issue_11_1/Articles/7 Transdermal Mg revised2.pdf

Using mag oil usually means you get to feel an effect within about 30 mins if you are low in mag. If you have a lot of heavy metals start with low doses to make sure your detox is not too strong initially.

Thanks liverock. And yes (in case this is relevant) I have mercury toxicity, alongisde borderling lead toxicity (blood tests), and super high levels of thallium and strontium according to my urine metals test.

ahmo

I've been using mg oil for about a year. Initially I used small amounts, as advised by many. But I began to understand that I need much more. I make mine from Mg Chloride flakes, so it's very cheap compared to any brand of mg oil. (Equal amount flakes + water, bring to just about boiling, it's dissolved and ready). I now take the oil via footbath, in which I also add my aminos, K+ gluconate, other powders. I'm using typically 50ml AM, 75ml PM. When I'm detoxxing or something, it can go up to 200ml. If necessary I return to Mg Malate for oral mg, but this is generally only if I'm having some sort of low K+ episode and need more of both in the night. cheers, ahmo

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@ahmo
so how do you do the footbath? add warm water to the magnesium etc.?
Do you think a teaspoon of transdermal minerals added would help - I'm struggling with everything at the moment.

ahmo

@maryb, I don't know transdermal minerals, as such, but that's what this routine does, deliver all these things transdermally.

Detox baths are a central practice for detoxxing on the GAPS diet. For ongoing use, I modified it to footbaths only. I use 2 containers, one's a dishwashing basin, the other an oblong bucket. Warm water, comfortable temp.
In the first I put 1 tsp activated charcoal, unless I'm in the midst of a significant detox and self-test for 2 tsp. I started using charcoal this way, instead of orally, hoping to lessen the removal of essential nutrients from my gut. I add 1 tsp lysine for detoxxing sulfur, for my CBS mutation. And 1 Tb clay.

Initially I perceived the 2-bath set-up as the first one taking things out, the 2nd one putting things in. That's a bit simplistic. But the clay and charcoal are a bit messy, so the 2nd bath is really useful to clean up the feet.

2nd footbath: Bicarb, generally 1 Tb, but self-test for more when detoxxing, as after coffee enemas. My histamine protocol relies on Vit C and Calcium for pulling out histamines. I use 1 tsp - 1-2 Tbs Ascorbic Acid and 1-2 Tb Calcium Carbonate, both of which are the cheapest forms, since I don't have to worry about gut. Here's where I add magnesium oil, ehich I make from Mg chloride flakes. I use 50-200 ml, depending upon the detoxxing factor. Also grapefruit seed extract, 15-30 drops. And I then put all my other powdered supps into this. This is working brilliantly. Potassium, and aminos. SAves me from having to drink large amounts of K+. I soak in each one about 20 minutes, AM/PM. I've recently discovered that potassium is an antidote to caffeine, so when I do a coffee enema, I'll have a midday soak of K+, Mg.

I'm really, really happy with how well this is working. If there's a stressor, I might need extra mg, like during the night. Then I take some mag malate tablets, but otherwise this way of supplementing works for me, in spite of what would seem to a non-sick person as a lot of trouble. BTW, I'm, also using an oil mixture applied to sole of foot AM/PM to combat biofilm. I've mixed lemongrass + clove oil, as recommended by someone on a lyme protocol, + oregano oil, an anti-bacterial. Just a drop rubbed into sole. Seems to be working. Best to you, ahmo

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@ahmo
so how often would you do these? how long would you soak in each bowl? I have a lot of the stuff you use so I could certainly try it.

Just to add;
you also use charcoal, does it work well in footbaths? I feel better when I take it orally but it interferes with my sleep med if I take it at night when its recommended.

Last edited:

ahmo

Hi maryb, I soak in each one about 20 minutes, AM/PM. I've recently discovered that potassium is an antidote to caffeine, so when I do a coffee enema, I'll have a midday soak of K+, Mg, sometimes GABA. I use self-testing, which gives me a level of confidence re amounts, whether I need something like the GABA following the enemas. Charcoal seems to be working well. Again, sometimes, if there seems to be a lot going on, I'll test for 2 tsp charcoal, otherwise just one. I settled on these basic ingredients based on the selection of things people in the GAPS forums, and Natasha Campbell-McBride (NCM), who developed the diet protocol, have found useful in detoxxing. NCM suggests alternating bicarb, apple cider vinegar, and seaweed in detox baths. I stick w/ the cheapest, bicarb. cheers, ahmo

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@ahmo
thanks once again for all the info - just waiting for my bulb thingy to arrive - it does help to have a few things available.