• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme disease subverts the immune system, prevents future protection

msf

In the paper I posted about a case in which Rituximab was used in a Lyme patient (who may or may not have been infected at that point), the authors suggested that the Rituximab treatment may have led to a delay in the diagnosis of Lyme, due to the patient's antibody response potentially being adversely affected. So Rituximab would seem to have the potential to make this particular problem worse, not better.

duncan

This gets a bit convoluted very quickly. If I were an IDSA stalwart - I am not - I would say this conversation is meaningless. Everyone who, post treatment, thinks they have Lyme, do not. At least half of those IDSA people don't believe in post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome, so that allows all the rest of "former" Lyme patients to be neatly tossed into the ME/CFS, er, stew.

So for those post-treatment Lyme patients, Rituximab should be as relevant as it is for other people suffering with ME/CFS.

Unless the IDSA and NIH and NHS and CDC and AMA have been wrong all these years.

Any volunteers to find out?

duncan

:D

Right?

What if we have both ME/CFS and refractory late stage Lyme?

I have ME/CFS diagnoses from Natelson and Enlander.

I am also CDC 2 Tier positive for B31 Bb.

What would happen if both diagnoses are correct and I took Rituximab? On paper, I think the risk would be Borrelia would flourish, and shoot into the stratosphere; but my immunology knowledge sucks.