• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low mma and homocysteine means good mb12 level?

xks201

If I have low normal MMA and homocysteine this must mean that my body is making on its own a functional mount of methylcobalamin, right? Methionine levels are in the upper range too.

Critterina

You could have low normal homocysteine from low methionine also, from dietary insufficiency or protein is not getting digested (low stomach acid, gut dysbiosis, etc.). What I'm saying is that there is an input and an output. You're asking if the engine is running fast enough because the fuel in the tank isn't too high. What I'm saying is that maybe the fuel is not being replenished. So, if your methionine is low, you can't make homocysteine out of it. Methionine is supposedly half from diet, half from homocysteine being reconverted with B12. Low dietary protein could achieve this same low-normal level.

That leaves the question of the low normal MMA meaning that your B12 levels are OK. I've read that elevated MMA levels always indicate B12 deficiency, and also that they could be caused by other things like renal failure. But I haven't read and don't understand enough to tell you that lower levels of MMA mean that B12 levels are OK.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@xks201
As I understood it (which may well be wrong!) MMA should be more or less zero if you have adequate levels of Adeno B12--which would usually mean that you also have adequate levels of Methyl B12.

Sushi