• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

K, Mg and Ca all dramatically increase appetite???

After reading Fredd's protocol, I realized I needed to drop the amount of methylfolate I was taking, increase methylcobalamin and start taking potassium. However, in the last few days that I have tried this my appetite went from normal to ridiculously insatiable, eating 3000 calories + a day and still feeling hungry.

I have the same problems to if I take magnesium or calcium. I tried taking magnesium a few months ago but I couldn't deal with the appetite change.

To put things into context, I have c677t homo and pyroluria. Diagnosed extremely low zinc. Been supplementing for 2-3 months and testing out what works.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on?

boo85

It could be that your body is trying to get all the calories and nutrients it needs in order to heal.

Maybe you are craving a certain vitamin or mineral that your body needs to heal, so your appetite increases.

Are you having any cravings for particular foods or is it just every type of food in general?

Also, in my experiences, low B12, before I started B12 therapy, would give me nauseous symptoms and I had a low appetite. Just didn't feel like eating. When I got my B12 addressed, or at least started to, my appetite came back. Even though the loss of appetite comes and goes, it could be that your appetite is just returning to normal after being blunted for so long from low B12. Just a thought. :)

Yes, I'm having the same problem. I can't stop eating & have such a craving for comfort foods. This is worrisome, because I've gained a noticeable amount of weight in the last month. I lost quite a bit of weight about 10 years ago, and I'm scared I'm going to rapidly regain it. This is very discouraging.

I'm new to Freddd's protocol and am also feeling discouraged about how very time-consuming it all is, without much effect so far. That's better, though, than having a dramatic story about a hypokalemic episode.

21AUS, if you're still following this thread, I'd second Boo85's question: are there specific types of food that you crave?

Sunking101, does B12 make you want specific types of food?

I'm wondering whether this big ramp-up of my comfort-food craving is atypical, or somewhat in line with others' experiences.