• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Insurance and mobility scooters

Has anyone been able to have their insurance pay for a mobility scooter for them? From what I'm reading, you have to need it to be mobile in your own home. I am mobile in my own home, but many days, it is extremely painful to walk from the couch to the bathroom or kitchen. I cannot use a walker because my shoulder joints are very painful, as well. Pressure on them is NO fun at all! Any ideas or experiences?

kurt

I'm looking at this same issue, but am too mobile in my home to get a prescription, I need one for out-of-doors, but probably will just have to save up funds.

Here is an older thread on this topic:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/archive/index.php/t-3815.html

I believe being mobile in your home would exclude most disability insurance coverage. But maybe you can make the argument that there are good and bad days, etc. IF there are days you are not very mobile in your home, probably you can get a doctor to prescribe a scooter.

That is exactly the case: good and bad days. On bad days, it is difficult to get to the bathroom because of the pain. Doc says she'll sign off on medical necessity in my home. She wants me off of my feet as much as possible. Less pain, less stress=more energy. So, I'm starting the process. I'll report back on how it goes! :)