A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

If Lyme feeds off Magnesium, is it a good idea to supplement with it, or will that feed it more?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Bansaw, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

The Lyme bacteria is theorized to steal magnesium to feed itself.
    Is it the case that we should supplement to replace it, or would that just cause the Lyme bacteria to grow stronger on the supplements we add?

Magnesium MaIate am thinking of buying.

ps: I have lowered kidney function, so I hear that people like me have to be wary of Magnesium. Any comments?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  2. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

i did once hear that we shouldn't supplement with it but I also heard that about iron too...and vitamin D....i am not sure how accurate it all is. I would just do what the LLMD says, personally...

xo

3. dadouv47

dadouv47 Senior Member

Belgium
    Because of what you mentioned, I read it's better to get subcutaneous magnesium (or intra-muscular). Never tried though.

4. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

I would do neither and test heavy metals panel first, as part of this panel usually includes a Magnesium level.
    (It's pointless taking supplements unless we actually know our levels before supplementation begins).

BUT....If you can't afford that, I would take Magneisum Threonate which has some antiretroviral properties. Also make sure you aren't intolerant or allergic to Malate. Some people with MCAS can't tolerate supplements with Malate in.

5. percyval577

percyval577 Knight

Schooljaar
    I knew them for accumulating manganese in a terrible huge amount that no other cell is able to; "two times of magnitude" (2013)
    • Aguirre et al. 2013 - "A Manganese-rich enviroment Supports Superoxide Dismutase Activity in a Lyme Disease Pathogen, Borrelia Burgdorferi."; see also
    • Posey and Gheradini 2000 - "Lack for an role of iron in the Lyme disease pathogen."

Here, if you want to serve them I would eat manganese-rich food. I alas did so.
    If you want to destroy them I would not eat manganese-rich food.

There they must be weak, and the treatment could be easy.
    Obviously they need something in such a manner you (and every cell else) donĀ“t.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

See more popular forum discussions.