• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If Lyme feeds off Magnesium, is it a good idea to supplement with it, or will that feed it more?

Bansaw

The Lyme bacteria is theorized to steal magnesium to feed itself.
Is it the case that we should supplement to replace it, or would that just cause the Lyme bacteria to grow stronger on the supplements we add?

Magnesium MaIate am thinking of buying.

ps: I have lowered kidney function, so I hear that people like me have to be wary of Magnesium. Any comments?

Last edited:

Daffodil

i did once hear that we shouldn't supplement with it but I also heard that about iron too...and vitamin D....i am not sure how accurate it all is. I would just do what the LLMD says, personally...

xo

dadouv47

Is it the case that we should supplement to replace it, or would that just cause the Lyme bacteria to grow stronger on the supplements we add?

Magnesium MaIate am thinking of buying.

ps: I have lowered kidney function, so I hear that people like me have to be wary of Magnesium. Any comments?

Because of what you mentioned, I read it's better to get subcutaneous magnesium (or intra-muscular). Never tried though.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
I would do neither and test heavy metals panel first, as part of this panel usually includes a Magnesium level.
(It's pointless taking supplements unless we actually know our levels before supplementation begins).

BUT....If you can't afford that, I would take Magneisum Threonate which has some antiretroviral properties. Also make sure you aren't intolerant or allergic to Malate. Some people with MCAS can't tolerate supplements with Malate in.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al

I knew them for accumulating manganese in a terrible huge amount that no other cell is able to; "two times of magnitude" (2013)
  • Aguirre et al. 2013 - "A Manganese-rich enviroment Supports Superoxide Dismutase Activity in a Lyme Disease Pathogen, Borrelia Burgdorferi."; see also
  • Posey and Gheradini 2000 - "Lack for an role of iron in the Lyme disease pathogen."

Here, if you want to serve them I would eat manganese-rich food. I alas did so.
If you want to destroy them I would not eat manganese-rich food.

There they must be weak, and the treatment could be easy.
Obviously they need something in such a manner you (and every cell else) don´t.

Last edited:
A teaspoon of ground cloves contains your Rda manganese and is anti parasitic. It might provide what your body needs in a form that prevents opportunistic bacteria from thriving on it.

Daffodil

now that I remember, I think my doc said not to take magnesium because of some antibiotics I am on.....maybe it interferes with the antibiotic somehow....cannot recall....

Learner1

Magnesium can interfere with Levaqyin absorption. However, it also depletes magnesium, and low magnesium may be a factor in the tendon ruptures Levaquin is notorious for.