• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to take B12 and methylfolate?

boo85

This may seem like a basic question but...

I've been taking these past few days between 150 - 250mcg of methylcobalamin in the morning, usually between 30 minutes before or after breakfast. Is this ok?

But when should I be taking methylfolate? I know you are meant to take B12 and methylfolate together, but does that mean at the exact same time? Will they interfere with each other?

Do I need to avoid certain foods or other supplements/medications around the same time of day as taking B12 and methylfolate?

@boo85 I'm confused on some of the specific details as well, but my understanding is that you want to take methylfolate 30-60 minutes before B12. I also know that you want to have potassium separate from the B12/methylfolate because it negatively affects the amount you absorb.

sregan

Freddd mentions its better to have the MFolate already there when the B12 hits. Since the MFolate we swallow and the MB12 we do sublingual I'm assuming the MB12 gets in the blood much much quicker. So ingesting the MFolate before hand would be advisable