• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to reduce high dose methylfolate without paradox?

I could use some insight on how to deal with paradoxical folate deficiency when taking high dose (10-15mg) methylfolate each day.

I've been following Freddd's protocol with quite some success. Generally I feel much better and am pretty satisfied with my health. There is still lots to improve, but I feel great compared to before. I am thinking of going travelling for some time, and actually want to reduce my supplement intake to a bare minimum. Now when I try to reduce my supplement intake slowly, I end up with a paradoxical folate deficiency and have to go back to my 'normal' dose of 15mg methylfolate a day to avoid a sudden hard shut down.

Can anyone here share their experience on how to reduce high dose methylfolate without ending up with deficiency symptoms? I want to avoid having to take a backpack of supplements with me while travelling.

@Freddd perhaps? Any thoughts would be appreciated!