• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to know if you have the SUOX polymorphism?

Hello,

My daughter has taken the 23andme test. I realize that this test doesn’t test for the SUOX polymorphism, like Amy Yasko’s test does. Without actually taking the Yasko test, which is more expensive than the 23andme test, is there a) a way to easily get tested just for those genes and b) is there a “poor man’s” way to determine if these genes are expressing in an individual?

I have read that one easy way is to give a glass of wine to an individual and if they don’t feel well on just one glass, then perhaps the sulfites in the one are an indication they this person has the SUOX polymorphism and that it is expressing. Granted, that this is not a very scientific approach either! Since that is not possible for my daughter, due to other medications she is on, is there another way?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Sincerely,
Scotty81

Valentijn

@Scotty81 - SUOX S370S doesn't matter. Yasko got it mixed up with another SUOX SNP which actually does have an impact, which tends to cause some confusion. But there's no need to worry about that one.