• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How long to stop taking supplements before a blood test?

boo85

I'm taking a lot of supplements at the moment. Before my next blood test in Jan/Feb, how many weeks should I stop taking all of them in order to get an accurate test result?

I'm a bit scared to stop taking them all. They're my crutch. :oops:

But I'm hoping that I'll have built up my levels by then. I can't believe I didn't use to take any supplements at all a couple of years ago...

taniaaust1

I dont think there is a simple answer with that as some things stay in the body a lot longer then others.

Some studies Ive been in have said to stop all supplements 2 weeks before.

PeterPositive

It depends on the supplements and the test you're going to perform.
Best thing to do is telling the labs what you're taking and ask them about it. Maybe you just need to stop a few.

cheers

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
It's best to have your doctor give you the answer, but most routine laboratory tests don't need you to stop taking supplements. It's your doctor's responsibility to be sure you've done the proper preparation and they should give you any special instructions when they tell you they are ordering the test.

If you know what tests you'll be having, you can check them here:
http://labtestsonline.org/site

There's a dropdown box with the most common lab tests listed. Once you choose the test, at the bottom of the page it will say "Test Preparation Needed?" That is where you will find the information you're looking for.

FWIW, I'm a medical technologist, former laboratory manager.

It's best to have your doctor give you the answer, but most routine laboratory tests don't need you to stop taking supplements. It's your doctor's responsibility to be sure you've done the proper preparation and they should give you any special instructions when they tell you they are ordering the test.

If you know what tests you'll be having, you can check them here:
http://labtestsonline.org/site

There's a dropdown box with the most common lab tests listed. Once you choose the test, at the bottom of the page it will say "Test Preparation Needed?" That is where you will find the information you're looking for.

FWIW, I'm a medical technologist, former laboratory manager.
To
CFS_for_19_years
27th Sept 2020
Thank you very much for providing info on http://labtestsonline.org/site
Invaluable, accurate & helpful information regarding blood test requirements in the midst of much incorrect information circulating internet.
I had to join this site to pass on my appreciation, but who knows what else I learn here. :)
Again much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Kaycee