• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how long does glutathione last?

Fred Smith

as far as I know Acetyl-Glutathione is the best form which easily gets absorbed comparable to IV injections. Anyway I googled the half life and it seems to be 2 hours(unsure) So after I take my glutathione capsule after 2 hour I will become my old self again (low glutathione) and not be protected from toxins etc?

Q: for those that take glutathione does the effect last all day?

Learner1

No, it doesn't. In general, its best if you can make your glutathione steadily with folate, B12, B6, B2, magnesium, glycine, glutamine, and N-aceryl- cysteine. You can also recycle it, too.

Fred Smith

No, it doesn't. In general, its best if you can make your glutathione steadily with folate, B12, B6, B2, magnesium, glycine, glutamine, and N-aceryl- cysteine. You can also recycle it, too.
Does NAC last all day? and recycle you mean cycle?

Learner1

NAC typically hangs around longer, so most doctors will suggest using it as a shortcut to boost glutathione levels. It will work if you have enough glycine and glutamine. (Too much glutamine can affect your mood, so good to have an amino panel done to know your status.

As for the recycling, the diagram here explains it. (Note the synthesis of glutathione from the aminos at the top center of the diagram.)

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...detoxification-and-degradation_fig6_271599593

nanonug

Does NAC last all day? and recycle you mean cycle?

NAC's half-life is around 5-6 hours. I take 600mg after breakfast and 600mg after dinner. This is a fairly conservative amount. Bioavailability is around 15% for immediately release formulations (what I take) and around 10% for sustained release.

Fred Smith

NAC's half-life is around 5-6 hours. I take 600mg after breakfast and 600mg after dinner. This is a fairly conservative amount. Bioavailability is around 15% for immediately release formulations (what I take) and around 10% for sustained release.
10% that seems low, are you taking the jarrows brand is it higher half life? what bioavailability does acetyl glutathione have surely its higher? Will taking it with vitamin C increase bioavailability?

Last edited:

Fred Smith

NAC typically hangs around longer, so most doctors will suggest using it as a shortcut to boost glutathione levels. It will work if you have enough glycine and glutamine. (Too much glutamine can affect your mood, so good to have an amino panel done to know your status.

As for the recycling, the diagram here explains it. (Note the synthesis of glutathione from the aminos at the top center of the diagram.)

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...detoxification-and-degradation_fig6_271599593
so vitamin b3 recycles it so like NADH would work? how effective is that does it even make a big difference

Last edited:

Fred Smith

can the body store glutathione to use later? since the half life of Glutathione is short, Like it can with some vitamins I forgot which .

According to the Bulletproof diet protocol founder, He claims he has "hacked" the absorption problem by *creating a form of liposomal glutathione with an added bioactive molecule called lactoferrin which allows the supplement to be absorbed into your body throughout a lot more of your GI tract. He says the trick is all in the efficient delivery system and your body can actually use what you swallow.
Any truth to this?

Fred Smith

So I took NAC and glutathione reduced but they dont seem to be working .. I wonderd why then I saw this:

Acetylglutathione is orally active, unlike plain glutathione, and is stable in the intestine and plasma when absorbed and delivered directly to the cells for natural de-acetylation intracellularly. Plain glutathione delivered to the plasma by precursors, liposomal products or intravenously must be broken down by enzymes to the basic amino acid components for absorption into the cell and require more energy expenditure to be re-constructed back to rGSH. It is known that disease states can block the re-assimilation of components into rGSH. Therefore, it is a better dietary/therapeutic decision to provide the orally active and absorbed Acetylglutathione which increases intracellular rGSH directly and naturally without increased energy expenditure and without being compromised from disease states.[7],[8]

So I have to take acetyl-glutathione...

So I took NAC and glutathione reduced but they dont seem to be working .. I wonderd why then I saw this:

Acetylglutathione is orally active, unlike plain glutathione, and is stable in the intestine and plasma when absorbed and delivered directly to the cells for natural de-acetylation intracellularly. Plain glutathione delivered to the plasma by precursors, liposomal products or intravenously must be broken down by enzymes to the basic amino acid components for absorption into the cell and require more energy expenditure to be re-constructed back to rGSH. It is known that disease states can block the re-assimilation of components into rGSH. Therefore, it is a better dietary/therapeutic decision to provide the orally active and absorbed Acetylglutathione which increases intracellular rGSH directly and naturally without increased energy expenditure and without being compromised from disease states.[7],[8]

So I have to take acetyl-glutathione...

You can make suppositories out of reduced glutathione powder, food grade cacao butter and some suppository molds and a little trial and error. They work pretty well and quickly but like any glutathione doesn't last long.
I keep expensive liposomal around but only use it for emergencies.

Like everyone else is saying, I find the best practice to be to load the body with precursors and let the body do the work. NAC is a big part of my daily stack.

Fred Smith

You can make suppositories out of reduced glutathione powder, food grade cacao butter and some suppository molds and a little trial and error. They work pretty well and quickly but like any glutathione doesn't last long.
I keep expensive liposomal around but only use it for emergencies.

Like everyone else is saying, I find the best practice to be to load the body with precursors and let the body do the work. NAC is a big part of my daily stack.
what im saying is my body cant synthesize glutathione so I need it directly with acetyl-glutathione the other forms wont work .

Fred Smith

guys whats the differenc between NAD+ ,NADP+ and NADH? which one should I take to recycle and increase glutathione the best? these are vitamin b3s right
what form is it that affects glutathione the best?

and does any1 know why NAC causes burning throat for me?

Last edited: