• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how likely are potassium problems on simplified protocol?

jimells

arx, thanks for these links. I was particularly interested to read that some other folks are using the potassium cloride substitutes for table salt. I've been adding 'No Salt' to my 'sea water' mix for quite a while. I like it because it's pretty cheap, and I can buy it with food stamps.

Medicaid is happy to pay $$$ for useless tests and drugs with awful adverse effects and no benefits, but they won't pay a dime for anything that doesn't need a prescription, no matter how effective. They paid $300 for a bottle of antiseizure pills (supposed to prevent migraine) which I can't tolerate and had to throw away. Meanwhile I have to depend on charity from my retired mom to pay for Co Q10, the only 'medication' which really has helped the headaches.

I've never priced the potassium pills, but I'm guessing they are much more expensive than the grocery store salt substitutes.

Sparrow

Headache position might be different for everyone. My husband got them in his neck and the back of his head.

Freddd

Please pay attention on potassium supplements. Time release potassium supplements are dangerous and carry a black box warning or have. If it is poorly designed it can generate high strength HCL against the tissue wall and cause tissue death and gangrene. In this country time release (KDUR for example) is suggest "only for thoser unable to comply with frequent doses of instant release potassium."

arx

Hi Freddd,

Glad to see you back on the forums. How is your health?

If you get the time,please have a look at some of my doubts.

1. What is the maximum potassium intake you have observed with someone on your protocol? I understand that the need increases with adb12 and carnitine, so assume that the person is taking adb12 and carnitine.

2. I have stopped your protocol for a few days, as I had to get some tests done. I want to know that for how many days will I need to supplement potassium? I am getting some symptoms which I don't know to attribute to low potassium or because of stopping the protocol. I can't really figure out, I take some potassium and then I get a bit scared thinking what if I have taken too much and it may not be required because those symptoms are actually because of stopping the protocol. I also face a bit of high blood pressure and some low sugar( my Avg. Blood Sugar in blood tests is 80) .Please share your thoughts on what happens when one stops the protocol. Are BP and sugar levels influenced?

3. How important is Magnesium? Is supplementing Magnesium required/useful when supplementing Potassium?

4. I feel a very weird feeling when I touch some clothing textures, particularly cotton.Like when I lie down to try to sleep, the bedsheet/pillow cloth and my own clothes when come in contact with my hand, produce a very irritating feeling in me. I can best describe it as the anooying feeling one gets by the screeching sound of chalk or nails on a chalkboard. I also feel buzzing sensations in my spine and entire body. It is very disturbing.I cannot sleep tonight because of this and thought I should mention this to you. Have you seen such a phenomenon?

Thanks.

Freddd

Hi Freddd,

Glad to see you back on the forums. How is your health?

If you get the time,please have a look at some of my doubts.

1. What is the maximum potassium intake you have observed with someone on your protocol? I understand that the need increases with adb12 and carnitine, so assume that the person is taking adb12 and carnitine.

2. I have stopped your protocol for a few days, as I had to get some tests done. I want to know that for how many days will I need to supplement potassium? I am getting some symptoms which I don't know to attribute to low potassium or because of stopping the protocol. I can't really figure out, I take some potassium and then I get a bit scared thinking what if I have taken too much and it may not be required because those symptoms are actually because of stopping the protocol. I also face a bit of high blood pressure and some low sugar( my Avg. Blood Sugar in blood tests is 80) .Please share your thoughts on what happens when one stops the protocol. Are BP and sugar levels influenced?

3. How important is Magnesium? Is supplementing Magnesium required/useful when supplementing Potassium?

4. I feel a very weird feeling when I touch some clothing textures, particularly cotton.Like when I lie down to try to sleep, the bedsheet/pillow cloth and my own clothes when come in contact with my hand, produce a very irritating feeling in me. I can best describe it as the anooying feeling one gets by the screeching sound of chalk or nails on a chalkboard. I also feel buzzing sensations in my spine and entire body. It is very disturbing.I cannot sleep tonight because of this and thought I should mention this to you. Have you seen such a phenomenon?

Thanks.

Hi Arx,

2. I have stopped your protocol for a few days, as I had to get some tests done.

I don't understand why you want to give a false view to your doctor.

What is the maximum potassium intake you have observed with someone on your protocol? I understand that the need increases with adb12 and carnitine, so assume that the person is taking adb12 and carnitine.

First, there are 3 forms of l-carnitine that have worked for people. Mostly potassium fumarate, a few have had the same response form ALCAR but many haven't and so far everybody tring the Jarrow liquid freebase carntiine have had good response.

The ranges of potassium I have needed and have observed in others has varied a great deal. For instance when just mb12 was started by me with folic acid, I needed about 600mg of potassium. When adb12 was added, nothing changed. When carnitine was added I went up 400 mg of potassium. When Metafolin was added and folic acid discontinued, I needed a total 2000-3000mg a day. Order of usage makes a difference. people starting with adb12,mb12 and mfolate need 1600-3000 right off the bat usually.

I feel a very weird feeling when I touch some clothing textures, particularly cotton.Like when I lie down to try to sleep, the bedsheet/pillow cloth and my own clothes when come in contact with my hand, produce a very irritating feeling in me. I can best describe it as the anooying feeling one gets by the screeching sound of chalk or nails on a chalkboard. I also feel buzzing sensations in my spine and entire body. It is very disturbing.I cannot sleep tonight because of this and thought I should mention this to you. Have you seen such a phenomenon?

I was hypersensitive to textures for my whole life. It's largely gone away with neurological healing over the past years. The buzzing feelings are paresthesias and may become more apparant with mb12. If they progress towards more normal feeling over a period of months that indicates healing and that is the trickiest kind. All sorts of things have to be present including zinc and so on.

If you take more potassium than you need,and I assume you are talking about 99mg tablets, each is 3% of daily minimum need. Dangerous to fatal doses are around 60-90 of them at a time. Keep in mind a serving of Halibut might have 1600mg of potassium. Food level quatities represent no hazzard unless a person has kidneyy damage or lacks insulin. It is insulin that causes the potassiun to go out of serum into tissue thus preventing problems.

As multiple items affect sugar levels, ie vit E, everything that affects metabolism and BP, again, just about everything in some way, why do you stop before tests, it will only give a false view.