• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How does your body expel the various toxins when methylation is increased?

When methylation increases after having been sluggish I've found it is fairly common to feel worse for awhile. This would make perfect sense as undesirable substances, that should have been more effectively cycled out of the body, have accumulated and there is now a larger then normal quantity of trash that needs to be dealt with.

It would make sense that given enough time this backlog would sort itself out, but any impediment to its removal is going to make the experience last longer then necessary.

This got me thinking...Can anyone clarify how your body actually rids itself of this garbage once methylation picks up? Is it mostly through urine or the bowels? Could you actually improve the speed up the elimination of the backlog of trash by increasing your fluid intake or the frequency of your bowel movements?

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Bluelude1 - the principal organs of elimination are the kidneys and the liver. For myself I found that liver support as well as certain amino acids were crucial for detoxing. Here's one article which is very interesting:
http://www.diagnose-me.com/treatment/liver-detoxification-phase-II-support.php

You'll note it mentions the amino acids glycine, glutamine, inositol and choline. Glycine caused a very strong detox reaction for me - I was taking it for sleep and it knocked me for a loop, to put it mildly. Glutamine and inositol also caused a detox reaction, but not nearly as severe. Over a period of several months I worked up gradually with these amino acids and now tolerate them very well, and I hardly ever get detox symptoms any more - I used to react to anything that had "cleansing' in its description and no longer do so, so I believe my detox pathways are finally working how they were designed to.

N-acetyl-cysteine is important for liver support, as well as milk thistle. Lemon juice is cleansing and can be helpful too.

Whatever you do, do it slowly. If you have a lot of toxins built up or your detox pathways are not working properly, you can have severe detox symptoms which can be too much for your body to handle.

Betonite clay and charcoal can be used to help bind and expel toxins as well.