• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do i learn my limits

Sidney

Cfs plp have very low aerobic treahhold so walking is by nature aerobic let alone for us. Then you go anaerobic and the latic acid build up and muscle pain follow.

An alternative is to buy an oximeter from pharmacy they are cheap. They measure the HR too, and you can put it on to do a few things. I use mine to meassure Resting HR.
More and more useful information. That makes perfect sense, and is completely useful.
( And I like to think that there are perhaps some measurements out there, that begin to objectify our state, to communicate to the Normal world!)

Sidney

I have written a few blog pieces on staying within limits, including a few on heart rate monitoring.
The post "Well enough to drink coffee" that I wrote for a May Awareness day has been well received.
http://sallyjustme.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/index.html
You probably shouldnt assume that. I was horrified to find my heart rate goes into the red aerobic exericise zone on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobic_exercise just putting on a pair of jeans (and they werent tight ones either)

Sidney

More and more useful information. That makes perfect sense, and is completely useful.
( And I like to think that there are perhaps some measurements out there, that begin to objectify our state, to communicate to the Normal world!)
You probably shouldnt assume that. I was horrified to find my heart rate goes into the red aerobic exericise zone on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobic_exercise just putting on a pair of jeans (and they werent tight ones either)
I know exactly what you mean. I just didn't know it was something I could measure- never even thought of looking up aerobic _excercise...'cognitive impairment ' of course...and I do hit the wrong button by mistake, trying to reply...
Getting dressed is a major energy glutton - for me, more so than walking around the block.

Sidney

This is not a silly question at all!!!! It's frikin hard, and I'm still learning. It's a constant reassessment, as things can change from week to week. But here are a few things I have learned though that may be helpful?

-don't underestimate anything. I mean anything. Something as simple as how many times you went from sitting to standing, how long you were on a computer, a shower, a conversation, what "shouldn't" be considered over exertion unfortunately for us can be just too much

-payback (crash whatever you want to call it) can take way longer than a day to hit. I'm slowly learning this! For me it can take up to a week, which is crazy, a lot of things make more sense now that I have realized that!

-energy can be "fake". Ok, this one may not apply to everyone, but for me I will get adrenaline surges. When this happens I feel like I suddenly have a lot of energy, and I will want to do things, but I have learned the hard way it is fake energy. If I use it I crash hard. It's very confusing, and I still struggle with this one, but if I am able to ride it out and keep to my pacing, things are muuuuuch better!

I can definitely say that while pacing is not a cure, it has helped me feel more stable. the lows are not quite as low, and that can make a world of difference! I hope that's a little bit helpful? Just remember it's is haaaaaarrrd so don't be too tough on yourself! :)

Sidney

This is not a silly question at all!!!! It's frikin hard, and I'm still learning. It's a constant reassessment, as things can change from week to week. But here are a few things I have learned though that may be helpful?

-don't underestimate anything. I mean anything. Something as simple as how many times you went from sitting to standing, how long you were on a computer, a shower, a conversation, what "shouldn't" be considered over exertion unfortunately for us can be just too much

-payback (crash whatever you want to call it) can take way longer than a day to hit. I'm slowly learning this! For me it can take up to a week, which is crazy, a lot of things make more sense now that I have realized that!

-energy can be "fake". Ok, this one may not apply to everyone, but for me I will get adrenaline surges. When this happens I feel like I suddenly have a lot of energy, and I will want to do things, but I have learned the hard way it is fake energy. If I use it I crash hard. It's very confusing, and I still struggle with this one, but if I am able to ride it out and keep to my pacing, things are muuuuuch better!

I can definitely say that while pacing is not a cure, it has helped me feel more stable. the lows are not quite as low, and that can make a world of difference! I hope that's a little bit helpful? Just remember it's is haaaaaarrrd so don't be too tough on yourself! :)

The term 'fake energy' is brilliant, it says something that describes that state better than any I've heard. Thank you!

Mel9

Seven7

Seven
1) Measure Resting heart rate everyday ( first you wake up before leaving bed).
2) if next day your RHR is > 8%. You over did it. Pull back activity until you go back to your RHR. Assuming your water intake is ok and you are not dehydrated ( that will increase your RHR too)
3) assuming you are hudrated, you HR should be less than 30bpm within the first 10 min when standing ( look for the definition of POTs).
4) calculate the AT. When you have activity you have to keep it under AT. I know I am crashed because I cannot maintain under AT as I move. So I know I have to lay and rest.
5) If you lasts a few weeks with higher HR, you can adjust to the new HR and start all over ( assuming is not an infection and you are not dehydrated).
6) For me the only way I can lower the RHR and move forward is walking or recumbent bike. So I have a love hate relationship w "exercise". But I have to do it or the high HR becomes intolerable since it keeps going up.

dangermouse

I'm biting my tongue a bit, but the sarcasm has to come out anyway. My answer? I learned the hard way. And keep learning the hard way.

What I have found is that I tend to over-estimate myself quite regularly. I try to be mindful and plan lots of rest... but since I'm mild right now and still working - it just varies too much from day to day.

I'm really lucky. My new husband is very perceptive. He tends to recognize that I'm overdoing things before I do. He says he can see it in my eyes.

My husband and daughter and mum can see when I'm bad....my eyes are noticeably different. It's like there's no sparkle in them at all.