Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Highly elevated CK (Creatine-kinase) anyone else?

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by Thinktank, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe
    A rheumatologist just measured My CK (serum creatine-kinase) and it's highly elevated. Reference range is 0 - 170 and my result is 2371.
    The only thing that i know of CK is that it's important for ATP generation and that it becomes elevated when more muscle is being burned than generated.
    My diet can't be the issue because i consume tons of protein.
    I know it's elevated in certain diseases that affect the muscles. I have pretty bad muscle wasting.

Anyone else here with highly increased CK?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  2. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

CK can be elevated in myositis, myopathies, and some channelopathies.

Did you have an electromyogram, a muscle biopsy?

Thinktank likes this.
  3. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe
    I did not have an electromyogram or a muscle biopsy yet. I'm being checked for Sjogren's syndrome and some other things.

4. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    This quote is from the Fluge and Mella paper about Pyruvate Dehydrogenase-

LINK

This paper seems to be saying that at least in males with ME/CFS, there is significant protein catabolism, which can lead to muscle wasting. If you notice the pink box below, it shows all the amino acids that feed Acetyl CoA and that feeds the Krebs cycle.

The amino acids get used up there, instead of pyruvate from glucose, because Pyruvate Dehydrogenase is impaired. So the cells use an alternate route by directly creating Acetyl CoA from aminos, which uses up a lot more amino acids, making the need for protein or amino acids much higher.

[​IMG]
    I feel a lot better since starting 10-12 gms a day of BCAA's about 2 weeks or so ago!

5. eastcoast12

eastcoast12 Senior Member

Long Island ny
    What up thinktank. It’s interesting that you mention CK levels. I used to be extremely active (college football, surf, snowboard, box, mountain bike, you name it I did it. I didn’t look like Brad Pitt, but I was in really good shape. I could go for a 10 mule run like it was a walk in the park) and out of nowhere I started getting rhabdomyolysis. Basically out of nowhere my muscles started breaking down pretty severely. Over a course of a year I ended up with it 5 or 6 times. Every doc I’ve takked to about this is completely confused as to why. But my CK levels where 87,000 the first time (they kept having to measure the swelling in case they needed to give me a Fasciotomy). The next few times they were elevated at about 65K-75K and the last 2 times they were 20K and 5K. Crazy shit. Any way after that year everything went down hill( won’t get into my life story) and I’m not bed bound but I’m pretty close. Every time I get my CKs checked they come back slightly elevated(abnormal) or are on the high end of the range (in talkin about less than 100-50). What’s weird is the high end is what you would expect to see in someone who worked out or did a full days manual labor job, etc. so your definitely not alone.
    Just a word of caution from a rhabdo pro. If your urine starts getting dark( tea colored), if a muscle group you used strenuously starts to swell and feels more bone crushing than lactic acid build up, you should hit the ER. The extra myoglobin floating around in your blood can do some damage to your kidneys.

If you have any questions let me know. This whole disease is so weird.

Thinktank likes this.
  6. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Do you know what else you will be checked for besides Sjogrens? I don't think I have ever had an elevated CK (although it is possible I did at some point and am not remembering). When I was injured by Levaquin in 2010, a lot of my inflammation tests were elevated but I am not sure about that one.

Thinktank likes this.
  7. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    I have a long history of elevated CK with the earliest result I have showing it elevated back in 2006. It seems to fluctuate with it dropping in range sometimes and the highest it's been is 1430. I noticed this (below) a while back in the clinical manifestations table from a publication by the MCAS doctor Dr Afrin:

https://www.clinicaltherapeutics.com/article/S0149-2918(15)00074-0/pdf

I think, but I'm not certain, that mine elevates more when my muscle pain is at its worst and the first positive test I got in 2006 was around the time my sub-clinical MCAS went full blown and one of my first symptoms along with food reactions was severe muscle pain.

Whenever I'm going through a period of severe muscle pain muscle wasting soon follows.

Thinktank and Gingergrrl like this.
  8. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Thinktank likes this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I was in a study looking at muscle injury to try to find out what was causing my muscle pain. They found very elevated creatine phosphokinase if I recall correctly. This was in the late 80s. They never found a cause. I did not have any of the things they were looking for, whatever those were. I do know they were looking at neurological issues too, as I had numerous long needles stuck in my muscles during testing, measuring electrical signals.

Thinktank likes this.
  10. eastcoast12

eastcoast12 Senior Member

Long Island ny
    I’d like to add that this post from Ema is important. Most diseases that cause elevated CKs are mitochondrial.
    If you haven’t already I would suggest (this is what my doctors had me do) a muscle biopsy, genome sequence, and whatever blood tests panel that looks for any sort of mitochondrial abnormalities.

And like others have mentioned I’d also get checked for as many autoantibodies as your doctor will allow.
    Wish you well and keep us informed.

Thinktank and Ema like this.
  11. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    Is this the same thing as CaM kinase II? From the Molera Lab Cunningham Panel?

Thinktank likes this.
  12. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    No creatine kinase is a very basic test any doctor can run. Not a specialty test at all.

Thinktank and Dakota15 like this.
  13. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    Ah gotcha - thanks for the clarification

Thinktank likes this.
  14. Silence

Silence

Northern CA
    Along with muscle wasting and muscle pain, my CK was also elevated in the Thousands. This was a few years ago. EMG is abnormal and shows muscle damage, Now they tell me I have some sort of myopathy and probably muscular dystrophy. In the beginning I assumed it was just part of my CFS/Fibromyalgia, but luckily I asked my neuro for a CK and he agreed. I need to rule out mitochondrial myopathy/disease, and some other muscular dystrophies. Some neurologist believed it was due to my very low vitamin D levels 3 ng. Do you have muscle pain?

Other tests that were abnormal: aldolase, b12, Thiamine. EMG

I did have a case of beriberi (which is a severe form of b1 deficiency)which did fit the picture, but as soon as I treated the b1 some symptoms did disappear, but others remained.

I ended up getting WES(whole exome sequencing and they did find a variant of unknown significance, but likely pathogenic of a rare muscle disease.

15. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Alot of liver and kidney function tests are very general and may not be an indication of any harm to these organs. Its not uncommon for CK and other liver/kidney tests to be abnormal in hard training athletes. Quite common in bodybuilders, even drug free bbers, i mention drug free as some bbers can have these abnormalities from drug abuse. CK commonly is high after a bodybuilding workout as some of them can push that hard they break down muscle tissue which CK is a marker of.

Thinktank likes this.
  16. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe
    Yeah, but the thing is i'm not an athlete, far from it. :)
    It's impossible for me to gain weight and i have muscle wasting. So i do think that elevated CK level means something.

heapsreal, Gingergrrl and ljimbo423 like this.
  17. pogoman

pogoman Senior Member

Hi, I'll offer my thoughts as I've been in the same boat before with high CK and muscle atrophy.

Depending on your medical history your doc probably will order tests to see if you have body inflammation and if none refer you to a neurologist to do a EMG/needle conduction test to isolate the muscle(s) showing myopathy.
    If you have inflammation a rheumy may or may not need that, lab tests may be enough to find the cause.

If no inflammation, a muscle biopsy of the affected muscle to determine the type of myopathy.
    After that, there are many different ways the treatment may go so I won't get into that.

I will tell you this if you do get a diagnosis of a toxic necrotizing myopathy, look into the myopathies caused by statins and fibrates.
    Its fairly new and many doctors don't have experience with it.
    Even people that have never been on statins or test positive for the two antibody tests can get it, I believe from my own experience its genetic and can be triggered by various means.

18. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I think in many mecfsers and fibro people the inflammation and muscle wasting can cause these markers to be elevated. Even CRP inflammation marker can be high if an infection has reactivated. But also ebv and similar viruses van effect the liver, common in an acute ebv infection for liver to swell.

Thinktank likes this.
  19. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Thinktank likes this.
  20. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    One would assume that to apply mainly to full doses of 50mg per pill. In any case, for me CK decreased since adding LDN. From 161 down to 112 U/L.

Thinktank likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.