• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with Nac

Hi everyone, If anyone could give me any advice on the following situation it would be highly appreciated.

Currently Taking 2g Solgar Methylcobalamin, 800mg Solgar Methylfolate and a Solgar VM75 Daily.

Not really noticed much of a difference on the above so I added 3x 800mg Nac two weeks ago. The affects of this were good. I increased the dose to 3x 1600mg per day and the efects were brilliant. Within 30 minutes of taking this I am alert and calm headed, able to hold a conversation and even excersise, something which is very rare to me. The only problem is that the effects only last about a couple of hours and drop as quick as they appear and leave me in a worse position than I started. It feels like I've just ran a full marathon. I am not having much sleep because of this.
I have worked out that to sustain the effects from this I would have to take 9 doses of 1600mg per day which equates to 14.4g per day. I'm told that this could be dangerouse.

I am also getting flu like symptoms and mild pains in my lungs (I'm prone to pnemonia) which I have read a few other people have had but go away.

Any ideas as to why this works so good and what I can do to maintaine the effects?

Thanks
Ray

NAC can cause flu-like symptoms when there is a Cpn infection. Taking 2400mg of NAC is one of the ways to test whether there is Cpn infection - flu-like symptoms suggest there may be. Lots of info at cpnhelp.org.

Valentijn

The only problem is that the effects only last about a couple of hours and drop as quick as they appear and leave me in a worse position than I started. It feels like I've just ran a full marathon. I am not having much sleep because of this.
I use Jarrow's extended release version - it gets me through the entire night. I do fine with 3 doses of 600mg spread out over the day (the last one shortly before bed).

I am also getting flu like symptoms and mild pains in my lungs (I'm prone to pnemonia) which I have read a few other people have had but go away.
NAC is also used to treat a bacterial pneumonia. So maybe you have something going on there.