• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone worked with or heard of this Dr Ben?

chilove

Hi all,

I found this ND doc online and am considering paying $200 to do a consult with him and another $475 for a more extensive test that show more genetic stuff and nuerotransmitter levels and other stuff I guess.

His website is http://mthfr.net

Wondering if anyone has worked with him or heard anything about him.

Thanks so much!

Audrey

Jenny

This looks interesting Audrey. I'm glad I didn't read this when I was pregnant though decades ago! (I'm homozygous for one of these MTHFR SNPs and hetero for the other. Had no problems with pregnancies.)

I'm a bit sceptical when I hear of someone focussing so much on problems relating to just two SNPs, when they are actually quite common in the population and when there are thousands of others that little is yet known about.

I don't think there is any evidence that having these SNPs is linked to having ME - I've seen a chart somewhere (possibly on the Yasko Board) where people with ME have listed their results and the proportion of people having them is no different to the proportion in the general population.

I'd be interested to hear what Rich Van K thinks about what this doctor is offering.

Jenny

ukxmrv

I remember Dr Cheney saying that MTHFR mutations were more common in his patients than the general population. This was a while back now. My test was in around 2003 and I looked for any possible CFS connection then.

Thumbs up on Dr. Ben

I have not consulted with him, but have ordered tests through his web site where he has commented on the results of the tests. I also listen/read some of his postings, comments, and podcasts and I do think he is well versed with the areas he covers. I wouldn't hesitate to consult with him.

Rosebud Dairy

I have been reading his blog on MTHFR, as he helps explain enough to me so I can then explain it to others who have the incurable S-gene.
The 23 and me testing is $100, but I have not done it yet.
I know I have a single C677T gene, have trouble with fortified folic acid (still waiting to "test" folinic in my diet), and know that I must take potassium.

If you have tried these things, or otherwise have an overriding familial or other reason for "need to know" on the remaining genetics, and money is not an issue, then maybe.

Keep in mind that a good of what Dr. Ben SEEMS to offer, you can find online, much of it here. So, you are paying for the convenience of saving time, and perhaps some more specialized testing.

I'd be curious to see results, but will stick with my own helpful docs for now, even if they aren't thoroughly versed in mthfr