• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone managed to vanquish mood swings?

November Girl

Mine aren't as bad as they used to be, but they're far from gone. I suspect that erratic sleep is the biggest contributing factor at the moment. Changing my anti-seizure med from Tegretol to one that is also a dopamine enhancer helped a lot. (Maybe I can remember name of med next time I'm here!) o_O

What helps you most? I posted this here because I know lifestyle management plays a big part - too little energy for emotions when utterly exhausted. i'd like to know what helps you, whatever it is.

ps The other day someone (not a PWC) assured me that SAMe would take care of my sleep problems. I didn't bother telling her just how high a dose I used to take!

taniaaust1

My mood issues which were extremely severe and now great with good management of the causes of them. (Im still often cranky due to being tired or if Im hormonal but my wildly swinging moods are now gone).

It took YEARS thou to find out what the causes of my mood swings were, finding out what caused this and then treating this.. I believe has saved my life (I was constantly at risk of killing myself previously due to the wildly swinging moods which at that time, no doctor could figure out why I had).

. The biggest thing for me which caused these were having hyperinsulinemia (This can be diagnosed with a 2hr Glucose tollerance test with the INSULIN INCLUDED..this isnt included unless your doctor requests it). My hyperinslinemia mood swings were so bad that Ive smashed car windows, while having one while at other times I went suicidal due to them. Do not underestimate how much messed up, not being controlled hormonal issues can screw with you. (I suspect having MCS made my body and mind very hypersensitive to my swinging very abnormal hormones). Mix up hyperinsulinemia with PMS (or rather I also had due to things a severe PMDD diagnoses) things are even worst. Since treating my hyperinsulinemia.. I do not anymore have severe PMDD (post menstral dysphoric disorder) either and now just get standard kind of PMS. I no longer have to fear possibly having crazy mood swings.

Making sure I dont go overexceding my limits also helps stop any kind of mood swings from going on (but without treatment of my insulin issue.. I'd be in a bad way.. always emotionally completely unstable).

If anyone here has a mood issue, work hard to find out the cause (often the cause is multiple things). For many of us the cause is a physical issue, you may be blaming your issues just on stress you cant cope with due to all the issues around ME (I'd blamed my issue on that and also on severe PMDD when I was diagnosed with that, so stopped seeking to find out a cause till the situation became life threatening for me) but the issue may be being caused by far more then that. I went throu unnecessarily years of hell due to my true issue not being diagnosed and treated (by stricter diet then a diabetic one).

I still feel no tollerence for stressors probably due to my cortisol issues but at least I are now emotionally stable and feel balanced and unlikely to "melt down".

November Girl

Thank you Tania. I'm seeing an endocrinologist in a month and will ask her about this. I know that I have to eat a little protein & carb every three hours to keep any kind of even energy level.