• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone cured lifelong anxiety depression and ocd

stridor

I hope that when tests are being done to determine whether someone is on the spectrum that they remember to include a test for heavy metals. There is a large overlap in symptoms between the two.

Children with autism tend not to have mercury in their first haircuts because they do not have the machinery to remove it - they are mercury hoarders. Conversely, people with Hg-tox have sensory, behavioral and relationship patterns that when pronounced can look like Asperger's.

Arius

I'm quite tired, so this will be poorly organized and I won't go into as much detail as I could. Please PM me if you have any questions.

I had anxiety (plus OCD, which is driven by anxiety) and depression starting in my teens. I was borderline suicidal for years. Now I'm happy most of the time, the OCD is a non-issue, and the anxiety is manageable. I'll tell you what worked for me.

The OCD was the easiest thing to treat, actually. Most of my issue was obsessions, more than compulsions. But the same technique helps for both. It's a thought-stopping technique a therapist taught me. I am still eternally grateful that she taught me this. Here are the steps:

1. Learn to identify your triggers. Things you commonly obsess about, ie.

2. Pick a pleasant thought. It could be an affirmation, like “I'm a wonderful person to be around,” it could be an image of a beach somewhere, it could be a feeling of intense joy or serenity. It needs to be something strong.

3. When you find yourself starting to fixate on one of your triggers, say “STOP!” to yourself, and jump to the pleasant thought instead.

At first, you are almost certainly going to fail at this. I found that my triggers were like black holes. The first few times, I didn't even remember to do the exercise until I was mired in my obsession again. But even that was helpful: I made a note about the thing I was obsessed about. After a few times, I started to see it coming. I tried to make the jump, but still got sucked into the black hole. But then, one day, after a few weeks, I was able to jump to the image and redirect my thoughts! I still remember where I was the first time it happened.

Eventually it got really easy to redirect my thoughts. After a while I stopped having obsessions altogether.

My OCD did flare up a bit when I got CFS/ME. Nothing like it used to be, but sometimes I start arranging the tiles on the bathroom floor into patterns or making anagrams out of words that happen to be nearby. It mostly happens when I'm bored, and I think it's related to the brain fog. I'm still able to redirect my thoughts though, it's just a bit harder than it used to be.

I've been on just about every anti-depressant you can name. I got off those altogether about 12 years ago and never looked back.

Dr. Ilardi gave a great Ted talk in which he shares his method for healing depression. It's basically the same program promoted by Dr. Andrew Weil in his book “spontaneous happiness.” Here's the talk:

The gist is that there's a bad fit between the environment humans are evolutionarily adapted to and the one we find ourselves in now. The solution is to try to get back, as much as possible, to a hunter-gatherer mode of existence. That means getting into nature more, seeking out more connections, spending less time online, avoiding electric lights as much as possible, reducing modern stressors, getting lots of natural exercise, etc.

How is your sleep? I'm guessing poor.

Depression and anxiety can both be caused (or at least exacerbated) by low serotonin, and 90% of your serotonin is produced in your guts while you are sleeping – IF you are asleep between the hours of 11pm and 3am. If you are awake at that time, you will be serotonin deficient the next day. Human beings are diurnal. We need to be asleep at night, or our bio-rhythms get messed up, which can affect our hormone production and every other aspect of our being. If you're a chronic night-owl, as I was, that's definitely going to be a significant contributing factor to your poor mental well-being.

Things that have helped me alter my sleep cycle:

1. Waking up at a good time (7 or 8 am latest) every day. Same time, every day. No matter what time I went to bed the night before.

2. Keeping my room cool and dark at night.

3. No naps after 5pm if you can avoid it.

4. No bright screens after 9:30pm. This one is HUGE. The lights from monitors and phones will trick your brain into thinking you are more awake than you really are, and you'll enter sort of a beta-wave trance where you're not REALLY awake or asleep.

5. Going to bed at 10:30 to 11:00pm every night.

6. Buying a memory foam pillow that supports my neck.

Other things. I forget. Dr. Bergman has a pretty good program towards the end of this video:

What's driving the depression? Odds are there are some negative thought processes going on. Gratitude journalling has vastly improved my outlook on life in general. I just pick 3 things every day that I'm grateful for. It's that simple. And it dramatically changed my life for the better, more than anything else I've done.

Humans have basic needs beyond food, water, and shelter that must be met if we are to be happy and thriving. What needs of yours are not being met? Is it self-esteem? Meaning / purpose? Adventure/novelty/fun? Connection?

I have advice for all of these things and more. Message me if you want to dialogue about it.

What's your diet like? As Ilardi mentions in the Ted Talk above, western diets are WAY too high in Omega 6s. The Standard American Diet (SAD) causes brain inflammation which causes depression. Again, eating more like our hunter-gatherer forebears is incredibly helpful. My diet consists almost entirely of meats, eggs, and organic plant food now.

I take two supplements that make a huge difference in my mood: Omega 3s, and Vitamin D. We are all vitamin D deficient. I also highly recommend supplementing with Omega 3s. There's a new form of algae on the market that you can try if fish oil isn't your thing. Some people get fish burps for the first little while (I did at first, but that went away after a few weeks), but you can apparently cure that by freezing the pills and swallowing them frozen.

Regarding food: thanks to decades of chemical assault, the soil our food is grown in is now thoroughly depleted of nutrients. Everyone who eats grocery-store / traditionally farmed food is getting nutrient and micro-nutrient deficiencies. Without proper nutrition, sickness is inevitable. Grow your own food or buy organic local produce as much as you can. I know it's not an option for everyone (especially me), but eating grocery-store “food” will kill you in the long run. It's important to be aware of that and choose accordingly. You're much better off eating half as much as you used to if you're eating food that has 10 times the nutritional value.

Anxiety is a tricky beast to tame. I recommend reading up on fear hierarchies. Fears that aren't confronted will grow and can become crippling. Trust me, I know. It's important to challenge ourselves, to push ourselves a LITTLE outside of our comfort zones every day. (Not too much! Just a little!) Only you know when you need to push yourself and when you need to take it easy.

Learning to focus more on the present has helped me a lot. Even just grounding myself. I often have anxiety about the future or sad thoughts about the past, but then I remind myself: I'm in a room with a roof and a bed. I have food in my fridge. I am okay, right now.

Nothing else exists. The present is all there is.

The smell of lavendar really helps calm me. Lavendar and valerian root in teas or baths or just to smell are generally recommended for anxiety. Valerian is the active ingredient in Valium.

EXERCISE is a miracle drug for anxiety and depression. Get your heart pumping. Most of the people on this forum would kill to be able to exercise. If you can, do it.

I recommend you do all of the things I've suggested: proper sleep, proper diet, exercise, mindfulness, etc. But if you only do one, do exercise.

Speaking of drugs, there's been some interesting new research into therapeutic use of ketamine. I generally don't endorse the use of anything produced in a lab, but if nothing else is working, it might be worth looking into. Apparently it reorganizes your brain pathways in positive ways. Might be particularly beneficial if you actually did mess yourself up by doing too much pot, etc., too young.

I'm all out of spoons. I hope this was helpful.

alice111

It isn't.
However humans have a tendency to complicate even the most simple things. All you need is a B complex (with active folate and no folic acid) and a sublingual B12. That's all you need.
If that then takes away symptoms (or aggravate them) it is another matter because correcting methylation doesn't necessarily mean that all or your main health problems are solved.

As regards anxiety, I'd suggest testing for Bartonella and Lyme. I'd also try and rule out mercury or lead as possible factors.
I suffered from anxiety for many years. I could not sleep or function without medication. I couldn't handle stress. I also had other symptoms indicating that something wasn't right in my nervous system. A substantial portion of it went away by treating Bartonella and Lyme.

I have not taken a single pill, supplement, medication etc since about 2012, not for anxiety, not for sleep, not for anything else. I just don't need to take anything any longer.
Best wishes.

@xrunner sorry this post is from a while back, but I was wondering what treatment you did for lyme?

xrunner

@xrunner sorry this post is from a while back, but I was wondering what treatment you did for lyme?
No worries.
All big and lasting improvements came from (chronologically) 1- antibiotics 2- probiotic GcMAF 3- thiocyanate.
I also had a few courses of Ivermectin supposedly for Cryptostrongylus pulmoni (Kaplow's roundworm). Was it for that worm or something else anyhow that also helped somewhat although not spectacularly as the three main treatments.
No positive result, absolutely none, instead came from the dozens of alternative treatments I tried. There were very few where, in some cases, I experienced amazing improvements in symptoms but it either didn't last or longer term those reversed creating problems.

Hi again everybody,

@wastewater, that's really interesting you too have Aspergers, I've noticed that @Wayne and @dannybex have mentioned difficulties at least with sensory processing issues such as sensitivity to noise along with difficulties with anxiety. I don't know what the cause or link between all this is though. I actually don't have ME or CFS (Sorry if I shouldn't be posting here) but I'm only 30. I have noticed various physical symptoms cropping up over the past couple of years, such as digestive issues and heart palpitations and I am concerned that long, long, long-term high-levels of stress/possible sympathetic nervous system hyper-arousal is taking its toll and if I don't get things into balance I might later develop cfs.

I wasn't aware ASD could develop later in life, as far as I've heard until now it is a neurodevelopmental disorder that usually exists from birth or aggravates during childhood as the brain develops, I think it's often more that because Aspergers only started to really be diagnosed in the 1980s, (invariably in males - males are diagnosed 4 times more than females) and because the DSMV has changed its diagnostic criteria for Aspergers/Autism about 5 times since it first appeared as a mental condition in the 1980s/90s (I can't remember the date, I think it only appeared as a disorder in the DSMV 2 or 3) most doctors and psychologists even today, just don't know how to recognise the symptoms of high-functioning autism. This is especially true for adults, who may have spent their lives manifesting with depression, anxiety, IBS, cfs or other conditions, and been totally overlooked for something like autism - a neurological disorder which may be underlying various other conditions. Even today, most resources and websites I come across seem to assume that somebody with autism is a child, and most resources seem to be directed at parents. I think this is because it is being increasingly diagnosed in the generation of children born today, yet previous generations have kind of just been missed for diagnosis. I'm not saying everybody has autism by any means, but I think if people are manifesting with sensory processing issues or depression it's worth at least looking into even if only to be on the safe side and rule it out.

Moving on from the autism issue, I actually wanted to ask for some advice if anybody can help. Since getting the Aspergers diagnosis I've tried so many things to see if it makes a difference. I've been on an anti-Candida mission, cut out gluten *I was born Vegan so never had dairy), and started taking a load of supplements to try and treat depression and anxiety. I am really not sure though what I should be taking, in what dosage/combination etc and I wanted to know if anybody had any advice. I will write below what I am taking, the dosage etc and when I started taking it:
  1. Sublingual B12 - maybe 3 months ago
  2. Probiotics capsuleas - about 3 months ago too - really think this helps with digestive issues
  3. Took an anti-candida fungal tablet for about a month then stopped
  4. Chlorella - 1000 mg a day for possible heavy metals toxicity/chelation, though I realise now this is nowhere near the required dosage and I can't afford it at a higher dose. Also I was never vaccinated or had fillings so don't think thi
  5. One week ago - a teaspoon of turmeric a day in rice milk
  6. One week ago -Inositol- a heaped teaspoon morning and evening
  7. One week ago - Biotin 10,000 mcg
  8. 4 days ago - folate. 400 ug (whatever this means, I can't seem to find the conversion rate anywhere although the bottle says it's 200% of the RDA so guess this equates to 800mcg
I have also been sitting next to an SAD light machine for the past 3 days.

So basically I am curious to see if the Inositol, Turmeric or folate makes a difference to me (and the SAD light machine).

I realise it's only early days, but I know that for the past 3 or 4 days I have weirdly happy, positive and optimistic. I have still felt like of stressed and anxious but npt nearly as much. On 2 of these days though I have felt kind of stoned/drunk though?_ I normally take all the supplements in the morning, first thing. Ecept the Calcium/magnesium which I take a few hours later. But toI have noticed that despite feeling happier I feel kind of angry with some people who have basically been causing me a lot of stress the past few months and my concentration on my work is still pretty crap. Today I took the Turmeric in the afternoonhowever, and within half an hour this feeling of being stoned ha cme over me and the anger, tension, pretty much everything but also the happieness has just gone away because I just feel stoned. Has anybody else had this reaction with Turmeric_ I would like to know if I can get the benefits from Inositol from something else because it's rather expensive. I'm thinking I should take vitamin B6 and Zinc aswell because now I am reading about methylation issues and it makes a lot of sense. A few months ago I did blood tests for Vitamin B12 deficiency (my doctor just did blood tests + vitamina B12 deficiency) and I was barely in the healthy vitamin B12 range but had half the minimum level of platelets. He sent me for more tests 6 months later and I remember reading that my red blood cells were abnormally large, which at the time I thought I should treat with folic acid and started taking nutritional yeast, but now I've heard of this methylation problem I think might be symptomatic of a folate deficiency, especially given the heart palpiations. Am I taking enough folate_ Should I add in vitamin B6 and Zinc_ How long should it take to wrok_ If anybody has any advice I would be really grateful. Which of these supplements would people say are the essentials, as in all thy are really expensive and it would be good to shave off any unnecessary ones. Thank you so miuch!

stridor

@pumpkin
You will need to slow down a bit if you hope to make sense of any of this. I learned in the early stages not to change too many things at once. It has been a long. long, time since I made 3 changes in a week.

I found, "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross to be helpful for some of the anxiety and depression issues. I like inositol and would take a gram in the morning and then mix some in a bottle of water and just sip on it through the day. I was having anxiety attacks at the time and it took them down a notch.

We all have to stumble through the methylation stuff on our own. There just isn't a single recipe to follow although credits to people like Freddd for trying. Did you notice any change with the addition of B12?

Do you think that probiotics help or do you have symptom improvements to support this? Not judging but I think that for every person helped by probiotics there is another who has not.

It is my opinion that everyone who has identified methylation pathway problems should be checked for heavy metals and that is double for people on the spectrum. Every single person has run into enough mercury in their lives to be toxic several times. Exposure is only half the equation....and the ability to excrete is the second.

This depends on genetic factors and whether the methylation system has been poisoned. Namely by the metals that it is supposed to be removing.

Your reaction to turmeric is interesting. I wonder whether you are having a thiol reaction. Check this out:
http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/

When I was dealing with mercury, thiols would make my CFS and brain-fog worse for days. I was taking a pile of curcumin at the time which is a derivative of turmeric. Not much fun.

We don't use folic acid much here. A lot of us have problems processing it. We take methylfolate and you can google the other names. 400 mcg is twice the daily recommended of 200 mcg.

SAD lights did nothing for me and I hope that you can benefit. It is such an easy fix when it works.

Part of how inositol works is by raising serotonin. B6 is a co-factor for the formation of some neurotransmitters including serotonin. I have also taken 5-HTP and tryptophan during my recovery.

Hi again, thank you so much for your advice Stridor, I really appreciate your advice and experience. I'm sorry to send a quick reply, I'll try to properly reply later, but I'm on my way to the doctors.

Unfortunately this morning I had a really frightening experience. I went to give a private English class, and after walking uphill for 20 minutes in the Portuguese summer I was literally sweating buckets, but hey what's new in this summer. Anyway, on normal days I always feel stressed and anxious when greeting people, especially when I have to start teaching a class because of the social interaction, eye contact 'act like a non-autistic person' etc, but as for the past week I've been feeling really optimistic and less anxious I was actually feeling really good at the start of this class.

I was chatting to my student fine, but then suddenly I just had this thought, 'is any of this real?' and as the seconds/minutes passed by, just started to feel increasingly disconnected/disorientated/anxious, I can't describe it, it was like something suddenly sinking inside me and I just freaked out so much and then my heart started racing and I thought, oh my God, for the first time in my life I am actually going to stop this class and walk out the room. I managed to bluff my way through the class (I am a pro at fake smiling and appearing calm!) but when I walked out I felt shaky and nauseous. It felt like a panic attack but I've never had anything like it before. It sounds really stupid but I am not normally one to call attention to things and when I got to my university after the class I had to call the university nurse and he took my pulse, told me to stop taking the vitamins without a prescription, eat something, drink loads of water, stay calm and make an appointment to see my doctor, where I'm heading now. Has anybody had a reaction like this? Is it because I added B6 (100mg) and Zinc Citrate 30mg to my vitamin cocktail yesterday? Or could it have been a drop in blood sugar after breakfast? I'm really afraid to keep taking these supplements now in case it gets worse. Sorry for all my questions and thank you to anybody who can offer any insight!

stridor

You can look up "derealization". That should ring a bell. I used to have anxiety attacks which I called "panic-attacks-lite" and the adrenaline surge was quite uncomfortable.
I have had to be careful with B6 and I am not the only one. I needed a bit...but not much or it would make me worse. Currently, I take near the DRA by needle and 6.25 mg orally each day.

Hi again,

Once again, thanks so much Stridor. Yesterday I took all my vitamins and arranged them on the doctor's table for his opinion. He said they were all fine although I should just try and get my vitamins from my food. I then showed them to the pharmacist, then the health food shop... they all said the same thing. Thanks to your comment Ive gone through old threads here and seen how many people have problems with B6. I'm so annoyed I took 100mg of it! I left it, and the Zinc, out of my supplements mixture this morning to reduce all the changes and maybe in a week or two I'll add the zinc back and find a lower dose of B6. I am going to take your advice, start low and slow.

Based on my last blood tests, heart exams and hunger the locum doctor has sent me for thyroid function tests. He also said my regular doctor can consider the possibility of referring me for genetics testing. I don't know how it is in other countries, but here in Portugal we have the National Health Service, which is almost free, and so far they have at least been willing to send me for tests when I've had concerns, although I'm sure they are clueless about the relationship between nutrition/toxicity/genetics and anxiety etc and flat out refused to acknowledge I could be on the ASD spectrum (They have finally accepted it based on the report from the autism center). So I would like to know what tests I should try and ask my doctor for, I know I should ask about the MTHFR gene... should I try and ask for deficiencies testing to check my B vitamins and vitamins D, zinc/magnesium etc...? Regarding toxicity, I can't imagine my doctor will refer me for this kind of testing... can I request it online from somewhere?

My computer slows down the longer this message gets so I'll continue in a separate message

Regarding the probiotics, I started off with some Acidophilus (Lactobaccilus and Bifidobacterium) which I felt did nothing. When the bottle ran out I tried a much higher dosage plus two other strains (Lactobaccilus Paracasei and lactobaccilus rhamnosus) and this one really did the trick,

http://celeiro.pt/produtos/111799-advanced-multi-billion-dophilus-43-gramas-cps-solgar

I got terribly ill with what seemed like a nasty flu for almost a week, then got better all my bloating and digestive issues went away. As it's quite expensive though I'm now on a much higher dosage probiotic but just with one strain and it doesn't seem as effective sadly.

Regarding the B12, I'm taking 1000 ug of cyanocobalamin (I now see this is the less-well absorbed one). It's supposedly 40,000 the RDA but I have honestly noticed no difference since taking it, or the Calcium and Magnesium, except my nails growing super fast.

For the past week I have noticed an improvement in both mood and anxiety, I don't know if it's the Inositol, folate or vitamin D3, but it's not a significant enough improvement. Perhaps it's a gradual thing and needs more time...

I also haven't felt 'stoned' since stopping the Turmeric. Meanwhile I've had weird kind of pains around my kidney area a couple of times this past week.

I hope this hasn't been too many questions this past couple of days. Really can't thank you enough @stridor and anyone else able to share some advice. Hope you all have a great day!

stridor

I don't know what the geneticist will do for you. I saw one twice and the first meeting I was dismissed and in the second I was ridiculed and then dismissed. I doubt many geneticists would want to venture into this arena. We are difficult patients to have with many presentations involving many organs and systems. We are time-bandits.

People who actually know genetics are sometimes less than patient with people like us who really don't have a clue but pretend otherwise.

I don't know what to say in terms of other testing. They usually do homocysteine and B12 levels. You can look up MMA which is more telling.
It would have been good to see how you made out with methylcobalamin. A very high percentage of us here on this site consider cyano to be an inferior product. We want the active forms of B12 which are methyl and adenosyl. People with COMT often take hydroxocobalamin.

Cyanocobalamin is the cheapest form of B12 and therefore a favourite of cheap vitamin companies. If you can not process the cyanocobalamin, it will just float around giving you higher b12 readings. Since the cyanide molecule has to be stripped and disposed of in the liver, it will used systems that need methyl groups.

Most people with MTHFR are taking forms of folate and B12 that will provide methyl groups, not use them :)

Don't get sucked in by the hype. We only absorb a small percentage of the B12...and a normal person needs 2 or 3 mcg a day (or something like that). I don't see how 40,000 is relevant to any of this.

This is one site dedicated to the Cutler Protocol which I followed to get rid of mercury.
http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/chelation-the-andy-cutler-protocol/

This is the hair test that they use. It is safer and more informative than other tests.
http://www.holisticheal.com/hair-elements-test.html

You can start charting your temperatures.
http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-temperature-graph

During 2011 when I was sickest my temperature was below 35 most of the time. The lowest temp was 33.4. I was confused at the time.

Thanks so much again @stridor. As the days have gone by that nasty panic has worn off, hopefully the B6 has cleared. I've bought some methyl B12, 5000mcg and will try on that. I will see how things go the next few weeks and then maybe do the hair test thing. I really appreciate your help and advice during a rocky week. Have a great weekend!

cigana

Only thing that ever helped my depression has been nicotine patches, 14mg. May be worth a try if all else fails.

That's interesting, just out of curiosity did you ever try nicotinic acid/niacin @cigana ? I'd be interested to know if that had a similar effect. and thanks for the input!

cigana

That's interesting, just out of curiosity did you ever try nicotinic acid/niacin @cigana ? I'd be interested to know if that had a similar effect. and thanks for the input!
No I didn't - but something to try so thanks for the info!

stetson28

If it aint broke don't fix it...but.
No worries.
All big and lasting improvements came from (chronologically) 1- antibiotics 2- probiotic GcMAF 3- thiocyanate.
I also had a few courses of Ivermectin supposedly for Cryptostrongylus pulmoni (Kaplow's roundworm). Was it for that worm or something else anyhow that also helped somewhat although not spectacularly as the three main treatments.
No positive result, absolutely none, instead came from the dozens of alternative treatments I tried. There were very few where, in some cases, I experienced amazing improvements in symptoms but it either didn't last or longer term those reversed creating problems.
Hello runner, how were you obtaining and or making gcmaf probiotics and thiocyanate? Dosage frequency etc thank you. Ps interesting catch on the roundworms, most people are not aware of that part of lyme infections did you gave sputnum test for them?

xrunner

Hello runner, how were you obtaining and or making gcmaf probiotics and thiocyanate? Dosage frequency etc thank you. Ps interesting catch on the roundworms, most people are not aware of that part of lyme infections did you gave sputnum test for them?
Hi @stetson28
I used to purchase gcmaf privately from a dr in Vienna. It's now distributed online under the brand name Bravo Probiotics. I used the recommended dosage daily for 12 months.
The thiocyanate from various sites, last time from a uk site I can't recall the name now, if you google '1st Line immune support' you should find various sellers.The most effective dosage was 2 kits on two consecutive days repeated three times over a period of about a year.
As for the roundworm, it came out thanks to a blood microscopy test carried out by a uk dr.