• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutathione: Pro / Con arguments confuse me!

ahmo

it's hard for me to start taking powders because of the stigma
What stigma? NOW Potassium Gluconate is the easiest form to use, IMO. And I came back here because I realized you hadn't started the other current thread, rather Sherpa did.

I can't answer your NAC/glutathione question. I suggest you ask on the other, current thread, rather than on this old one.

PeterPositive

why is it better to create glutathione with methylation rather than taking glutathione pills or NAC?
One argument is usually that oral glutathione gets broken down by the digestive system into its components (glycine, cysteine, glutamine etc...) so you're essentially taking a very expensive amino acid supplement.

Other say that even if the glutathione makes it to the bloodstream it will be poorly absorbed into the cells, and get mostly waste.

I use oral GSH (reduced glutathione) and I can only say that it helps, especially for bowel inflammation.

physicsstudent13

I injected 1ml of bcomplex from allivet and I took 1mg of mb12 and suddenly I feel weak, difficult to type, hand grip is weak like in that study. maybe I really have MS or terrible myelin loss....

there are other glutathione delivery methods

jepps

I take S-Acetylglutathion to ensure, that glutathione goes in the cells, Glutathione levels are stable since them. A fried makes the Acumen tests, and SAG (together with Phosphatidylcholin) reduced the intracellular load of organophosphate and mercury.

PeterPositive

I take S-Acetylglutathion to ensure, that glutathione goes in the cells, Glutathione levels are stable since them. A fried makes the Acumen tests, and SAG (together with Phosphatidylcholin) reduced the intracellular load of organophosphate and mercury.
Interesting. I have tried S-Acetyl form and I could not get the same effect I have from regular GSH.

What dosage do you use? I've tried the suggested dosage of 300mg and pushed it up to 900mg without noticeable effects.

The GSH I take is Jarrow's, 3x 500mg / day.

Cheers

jepps

Interesting. I have tried S-Acetyl form and I could not get the same effect I have from regular GSH.

What dosage do you use? I've tried the suggested dosage of 300mg and pushed it up to 900mg without noticeable effects.

The GSH I take is Jarrow's, 3x 500mg / day.

Cheers

I take SAG from SuperSmart, but I do not realize any effect, I take it since two years. But the glutathione level in the serum keeps holding on, before glutathione was in the low range. I take 300 mg daily.

physicsstudent13

a new study says that oral glutathione does raise levels but it might not be cost effective. I actually am looking into injections, there is a place in Florida that sells them.
the serious safety issue is that there is a study that showed heart and lung damage from NAC in mice!!
can you nebulize it safely with water or saline?

Last edited:

PeterPositive

I take SAG from SuperSmart, but I do not realize any effect, I take it since two years. But the glutathione level in the serum keeps holding on, before glutathione was in the low range. I take 300 mg daily.
Yep, same product. Thanks

Hanna

I take oral liposomal glutathion, and I can clearly feel the effects (more energy to do tasks). It doesn't last much but with a 2-4 on Karnovsky scale, it does a good job for several hours.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Taking liposomal glutathione has been helpful and not harmful for me. I took 900mg/day for several months and it helped me during an awful crash. NAC has been helpful at other stages of my healing journey, too.

Last edited:
Can you comment more on the urine colour whilst taking NAC? When I'm not taking NAC the colour is white and transparent and when I'm not it is dark and yellow. Is this what you folks are describing or are you describing quite the opposite?

Is there a test to see if b12 is being flushed out in the urine whilst taking Nac? How do you know that it is b12 that is flushing out without a test??? A bit concerned here....

@Freddd @Lotus97

a new study says that oral glutathione does raise levels but it might not be cost effective. I actually am looking into injections, there is a place in Florida that sells them.
the serious safety issue is that there is a study that showed heart and lung damage from NAC in mice!!
can you nebulize it safely with water or saline?

Bear in mind that the dosage used in mice was way above the recommended dose for humans.

jason30

Does anybody knows the difference between the forms S-Acetyl-L-Glutathione (MJ923) and Setria Glutathione (reduced form)?

I want to try Glutathione because I am low in Glutathione, and i have some detox problems and chemical/electronical sensitivities.

S-Acetyl-L-Glutathione (MJ923) Nutricology: http://www.iherb.com/Nutricology-Acetyl-Glutathione-100-mg-60-Scored-Tablets/41638
Setria Glutathione (reduced form): Lypricel http://www.iherb.com/Lypricel-Liposomal-GSH-30-Packets-0-2-fl-oz-5-4-ml-Each/61580

Are one of these forms recommended to raise Glutathione?

PeterPositive

Does anybody knows the difference between the forms S-Acetyl-L-Glutathione (MJ923) and Setria Glutathione (reduced form)?

I want to try Glutathione because I am low in Glutathione, and i have some detox problems and chemical/electronical sensitivities.

S-Acetyl-L-Glutathione (MJ923) Nutricology: http://www.iherb.com/Nutricology-Acetyl-Glutathione-100-mg-60-Scored-Tablets/41638
Setria Glutathione (reduced form): Lypricel http://www.iherb.com/Lypricel-Liposomal-GSH-30-Packets-0-2-fl-oz-5-4-ml-Each/61580

Are one of these forms recommended to raise Glutathione?
In theory S-Acetyl-Glutathione is supposed to be orally active and absorbed in the cells:
http://www.clinicaleducation.org/resources/reviews/oral-glutathione-equivalent-to-iv-therapy/#_ftn8

I underline in theory, because I have experimented with both reduced glutathione (Jarrow) and s-acetyl form (SuperSmart) and I've found the former clearly more effective.

Maybe it's just me. It is also dosed differently: Jarrow's GSH is 500mg per capsule and I've been taking 2-3 day.
The S-Acetyl form is 100mg per capsule with a suggested dose of 3/day.

Liposomal GSH should also work well, but I haven't tried it.

Hope it helps

jason30

Thanks both!

As stated by the link of Peter, the acetyl form looks more promosing;

http://www.clinicaleducation.org/resources/reviews/oral-glutathione-equivalent-to-iv-therapy/#_ftn8
The most significant marker, considered a gold standard, was F2-isoprostane and this was significantly more reduced by oral Acetylglutathione than with the IV glutathione.[11],[12]

Acetyl Glutathione is more lipophilic than plain glutathione, sufficiently so to be taken up intact by cells, and has been shown to rapidly raise intracellular GSH levels.

S-Acetylglutathione is able to increase intracellular-SH groups as reported by Vogel et al.,[21] is more stable in blood plasma than GSH, and enters the cells directly, where it is converted to reduced glutathione by the abundant cytoplasm thioesterases.

I am gonna test that one!

picante

I've been taking Kirkman Labs reduced L-glutathione cream since April 9th.
https://www.kirkmangroup.com/index.php/reduced-l-glutathione-lotion.html

It brought me out of a very low-energy state (physically and cognitively) and brightened my mood. Note that I would not have qualified for Freddd's experiment:
I have been extremely specific about those who tried it and found the reversal. FIRST they had to have effectiveness of the Active B12 protocol.

The active B12 protocol still has the potential to help me (drastically), but I've had to back off due to depletion of B1 & B2 (a combination of ignorance and inability to tolerate the forms of B2 I was trying). In fact, this depletion may be responsible for the extreme brain fog I started to experience after 2 months on the active B12 protocol. I've never had such poor cognitive function.

This should provide another clue about neurological damage: i.e., why I experienced it while failing to follow the protocol correctly (and then improved on reduced glutathione) vs. those who improved on the protocol, but then experienced neurological damage by adding glutathione.

I can't put together a coherent hypothesis about this, but someone else may be able to.

Note that the lotion is a reasonably-priced alternative, as there are 57 doses in a bottle, and it's $30-$36 on Amazon (the price varies). For me, transdermal absorption is generally many times better than oral absorption. The 180-mg dose can't really be compared to what others are taking orally.

Last edited:
My 2c - After being completely wiped out by taking glutathione (I am still recovering nearly a year later) I have found some guidance from Andy Cutlers amalgam illness book which is critically important when considering glutathione or NAC. Cutler says that usually you are one or the other of the below and if you can find a practitioner who can test it he has the following rule of thumb which you will find explains why some people one here do well and others don't

* Low Plasma Cysteine: If you are low plasma cysteine then taking glutathione, NAC (cysteine) and other sulphur based substances may make you feel better
*High Plasma Cysteine: If you are high plasma cysteine then glutathione, NAC is extremely harmful and will redistribute heavy metals around your body as they are single thiols rather than di-thiols that can tightly bind to heavy metals and transport out of your body (ie single thiols only loosely bind and as a result drop some of the metals into other parts of the body causing all sorts of symptoms including fatigue and a range of neural problems). You will know if you are high plasma cysteine if you react to high thiol foods and can try an exclusion test (I feel a lot better on a low thiol diet - see link below).

If you have liver problems and CFS then you are most likely mercury and heavy metal poisoned (as detox is impaired) so can do a lot of damage to yourself if you take these substances incorrectly and have the accumulated metals re-circulated to different parts of your body. Undoing the damage requires following Cutlers protocol on the Yahoo frequent chelation group.

The following site is extremely useful: http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/

Hope that helps!

-------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: Make sure you discuss any of this content with your medical practitioner as this is not medical advice rather pointers to further information only.